1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wii Fit question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HC, Dec 28, 2008.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a Wii fit? And is this a good choice for a very overweight person who doesn't live near a gym?

2. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I have it. I'd say no. It's fun and there are some challenging things you can do, but it inno way replaces a real exercise program, especially if you need to lose a lot of weight.

3. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Depends on what you do... If you focus on the aerobic section, then yeah, you'll break a sweat. Don't run barefoot, though! And I think the 'strength' area and yoga hit the fundamental calisthentics and stretches. But you have to do it. 30 minutes a day, at least... of course, the balance area is the most fun, and well, not so much exercise.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Bump.

Is getting this worth it? Anyone lost any weight using it?

5. jps

jps Active Member

j&e ... we've got one. no money right now (was a long-saved-for purchase) for a gym membership or anything, so we're using that right now.

the fit plus eating better has got me down almost 10 pounds in a month. there's some really good aerobic stuff on there, and some stuff you can do while watching a show on another channel. I use the step aerobics quite a bit along with the boxing. really does get your heart going. the strength stuff is solid you can feel it in the core muscles, especially. mrs. jps likes the yoga but, to be honest, my balance sucks and can't do a lot of em too well.

the games on there are also fun, and little jps likes that she can play with us. it's a gas to see her doing some of those games and she really has a good time.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Do you need a lot of space for this? Or will it work in a small living room?

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Do the strength exercises actually help you build muscle or are they more aerobic?

8. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

I find the exercises more aerobic...there are a few, like the push-ups, that will work you pretty good...but most of the good strength stuff, as has been mentioned on this thread previously, is core-centric.

The aerobic stuff is great, though. I bought the Wii for my wife (OK, that's a lie...I sold her on the Wii fit. I bought it because I wanted a Wii) but i was very suprised at the activities on there that really got my heart rate up and had me breaking a sweat. As someone who goes to the gym 3 times a week, it's a great off-day workout tool--or on those days when your schedule doesn't allow you to get to the gym.

9. jps

jps Active Member

hc, we're in a tiny little two-bedroom apartment until we can get debt/bills paid off and get into a house, and it works fine in our space.

j&e, the strength section is a bit aerobic, but there are some muscle-type deals there. the push-ups (with a swinging side plank deal), plank, rowing squat, jack knife, torso twist ... there's some good stuff.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

My stepmother did the Wii fit for a few days, until it accused her of cheating on an exercise. She got all offended and quit.

Yes, seriously.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

It's fun to get personal with machines, Arnold. JR and I love to fuck with our GPS (aka "The Directions Bitch") :D

12. Sneed

Sneed Guest

I'd say no. It might drop you a couple of pounds if you combine it with a good diet, but even its creators have said they didn't expect it to lead a fitness revolution or even revolutionize a single person's health. That's all just part of their marketing strategies.

Their very, very successful marketing strategies. People are dumb. I think you've done well to ask if it would actually help, because way too many people have run out and bought it thinking it'll change their lives.

I bought it for my fiancee last Christmas, but just for fun, not for exercise. And it is fun, and I'd recommend it as a video game, but not as an exercise tool.

Heck, I did the jogging portions by laying on the couch and jiggling the Wii remote in one hand while drinking Mountain Dew with the other.

Draft saved Draft deleted