1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WiFi help needed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HC, Feb 22, 2014.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

JR and I received a BluRay player a year ago which is WiFi capable and has a Netflix connection built in. The problem I'm having is that it's often fine in the afternoon but in the evenings we keep losing the WiFi connection. Not sure whether upgrading to a faster internet connection is the answer or whether it's just that our router (which is at the far end of the apartment) needs to have a stronger signal.

Thoughts, anyone?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be an internet speed issue. A stronger router or placing it differently would definitely be a likely culprit.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Our router is fairly old. I'm guessing a new one is in order but I know absolutely nothing about them. Any suggestion what I should be looking for or what questions I should be asking?

4. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I've never had a router that lasted more than 3 years.

If you really want good wifi get a directional one with antennas. Then you can point them where you want your signal to go otherwise it just goes out in all directions equally.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Thanks!

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Are you losing the wifi connection or the Netflix in the evening? There is a difference. And what type of Internet connection do you have? It may not be your router at all.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

The message we get is that it's unable to connect to the internet. When this happens we also cannot connect to YouTube or the online video store attached to the machine. Our internet is what Rogers calls "Hi Speed Lite". That's about the extent of my knowledge. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted