1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wie fails to qualify for women's open

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Well, the season does go to, what, November? Lots of time.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yeah, I mean she's only got three top 10s in nine tournaments this season, and is 18th on the LPGA money list.

Her confidence must be shot.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I really wish Wie would go away. Or maybe I'm wishing stories about her would go away. Either or, I really don't care.

She's one of, if not THE, biggest non-story in sports today.

4. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

*yawn* Girl who cried wolf.

5. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

hey, good for her. that's commedable and I certainly wish her well.

was referring to her overall body of work. hasn't been exactly stellar, and it's not necessarily her fault.

she was pushed and primed to be able to play with the men before she had even won a tournament on the LPGA or even Futures Tour. She's not won anything in her career. Unless you want to go back to the '03 Women's Pub Links.

My point is that it's hard to figure out how to win when you are playing in PGA events and not making cuts instead of maybe playing on your own tour where you have more of a chance. Better chance of ironing out any kinks and figuring out how to win or at least compete.

Her problems aren't physical, they are mental. Means a ton in golf.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

I bet Sidney Crosby wins a championship before either Wie or James. ;D

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? Her body of work is not exactly stellar?

Try this: Before her 17th birthday, she had eight top-15 finishes in the women's professional major tournaments, including six top-5s. She finished fourth in the Kraft Nabisco at 14, second in the LPGA Championship and third in the Women's British Open at 15 and was ranked No. 3 in the world at 16. She holds records for best finish and low score by an amateur in the Women's British and Kraft Nabisco and was the first amateur to even play in the LPGA Championship. At 15, she shot under par at a PGA Tour event and missed the cut by a mere two shots. She also made the quarterfinals of the men's publinx that year (again, she was only 15). She qualified to play in an LPGA Tour event at 12 (youngest ever). At 13 she became the youngest player ever to win a USGA adult event (women's publinx) and played in seven LPGA Tour events, making the cut in six of them and finishing in the top 10 in one.

But no, other than that, she hasn't accomplished jack. ::)

Look, some perspective is in order. First, she's still only 19. She might not ever become the female Tiger Woods she was hyped as, but you know what? She still could be. Tiger didn't even play in a pro major until he was 19 (T41 at the Masters, T68 at the British) and didn't win one until he was 21.

Michelle Wie might indeed eventually become the colossal bust many are already portraying her as, but she has plenty of time to be the colossal success many predicted she would be. Lord knows, she has the talent.

And, yes, when someone who not long ago was a consistent title contender in every women's major fails to qualify for the U.S. Open, it's news. Maybe not big news, but news nonetheless.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Thank you.

I've never understood this irrational hatred of a teenage girl.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Me, either.

There are enough thugs, wife-beaters, drug addicts and just plain pricks in the sports world to waste any animosity on a 19-year-old woman whose only crime is not being managed exactly the right way and not being as good as OTHER PEOPLE (gee, I wonder who) said she would be.

10. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Not being critical and not hating on her. I want her to do well. I blame her "people" for her shortcomings thus far. And by shortcomings I mean that she has yet to win an LPGA event, and when she could have been playing in them a few years ago she was playing in PGA events and missing cuts. Even as young as she was then, she was competitive and talented enough to win.

Just think what might have happened had she pulled one of those events out.

My point was that she should have stuck to playing LPGA or Futures events to develop some confidence, not get thrown into a PGA Tour stop as a sponsor's exemption so they could sell some tickets.

I want to see her reach her potential. And I know how old she is for christ's sake, and for the life of me, I'd love to see her win so all these "haters" that you think I am will shut the hell up.

She was a freaking kid who got exploited by her management team because she was talented. I find a great deal of sympathy with that.

But that doesn't excuse some of her antics on the course, and I'm talking about WD'ing from Annika's tourney a few years ago with a few holes to play in the second round because she was in danger of shooting higher than an 88 (she claimed injury) and not being allowed to play in a LPGA event again because she wasn't a full-fledged member (at the time).

I don't blame (or hate) the kid. I blame the adults who steered her in a misguided direction.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Agreed. I could see hating her parents and advisors, though.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Part of the hatred is the Swoosh, too. She has more endorsement cash in her pocket than 99 percent of the LPGA.

Draft saved Draft deleted