1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wie fails to qualify for women's open

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jun 16, 2009.

1. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Since she has been in the last four or five US Women's Opens, her failure to qualify might actually be worth five or six lines in a "What's Up In Golf" section.

However, the next real news regarding Michelle Wie will come when she actually wins an LPGA tournament...

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

But she TRIED really hard.
    And she ALMOST made it.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Was it Golf Plus where I just read a prediction that she'd win a tournament this year?

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I don't know. It has only taken about 20 emails and 10 calls to SI customer service to get Golf Plus as part of my subscription and with half the year gone, still no Golf Plus.

5. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I thought I somehow lost my subscription to Golf Plus, but I received a special US Open preview issue last week. Did everyone get that?

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, Moddy. I read that too.

I'm not gonna beat her up too much since a lot of good players, men and women, fail in Open qualifying. The bigger surprise to me is that she wasn't exempt, which speaks to her globetrotting, men's tour-chasing and not focusing on a full-time LPGA schedule the last few years.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Has she ever qualified? I thought the tour tweaked the rules to let her in.

Did Anna Rawson qualify?

8. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

according to the AP story, Wie went through the qualifier last year and made it.

Also not in the house for the Women's Open, Natalie Gulbis. Ouch.

9. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

I'm more surprised that Gulbis didn't make the field.

Wie...not so much.

Her confidence has got to be completely f-bombed at this point in her "career". Her people totally did a number on her that epitomizes mismanagement.

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I hate when people stay stupid shit like this about Wie and LeBron James.
    Yeah, they haven't won anything yet.
    You wanna bet Wie doesn't win a couple of women's majors before she's all done?

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Sure, why not.

Draft saved Draft deleted