1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wide Impact of Climate Change Already Seen in U.S., Study Says

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Appropriate source for a junior-high science paper. Let's aim a little higher.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Walter, for the record, this is one instance in which I'm totally with you. The idea that a buncha sports writers and ex-sports writers are going to "win" global warming by tossing back and forth some snappy "gotcha" lines ... it boggles.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Well, you don't build it there, for starters. If it's already built, you jack it up or move out. At some point you come to the realization it needs to be torn down, and you tear it down. If your city ends up underwater, another city will take its place in the pecking order.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No thing but a chicken wing you nervous nellies.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Who said this, and when:

"This could increase the average temperature near the earth's surface by 7 degrees Fahrenheit," he wrote. "This in turn could raise the level of the sea by 10 feet. Goodbye New York. Goodbye Washington, for that matter."

http://huff.to/1g9LfjS

6. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Brad Renfro?

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What was I was reading about a record setting cyclone this past fall?

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's been fun watching my farming in-laws - diehard conservatives - come around on climate change. When I first met them, they thought it was a hoax. Now that it's affecting their wallets, they're much less dismissive of science.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I don't know who, but I saw something today that that's what Democrats were telling Nixon in 1970, projecting to 2000. Looks like they were wrong ... again... and they just keep being wrong.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Moynihan said CO2 levels could go up 25 percent between 1970 and 2000. They went up "only" 14 percent.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2013/05/10/atmospheric-carbon-dioxide-concentration-400-parts-per-million/

Up to now, the rise has been "only" 21 percent, to levels that existed well before humanity existed. Still not 25 percent, so no threat, and suck it, Moynihan.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yep. People had only one chance, in 1970, to get it right. They didn't. Fuck off.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

We've given him an extra 14 years.

How close are we now to waiving goodbye to New York or D.C.?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.