1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wickersham on Dan Snyder and Dave McKenna

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I liked this a great deal. I thought using McKenna — and their shared love of the Redskins — as a way to get some insight into Snyder was a great framing device.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8449184/washington-redskins-obsession-owner-dan-snyder-writer-dave-mckenna-espn-magazine

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't keep a list or anything, but I would say Dave McKenna's A-to-Z story on Snyder is the most memorable piece of sportswriting I have read in the last five years. I can still taste the expired peanuts.

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Quality stuff.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/40063/the-cranky-redskins-fans-guide-to-dan-snyder/

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Seth Wickersham might be the most consistent long-form sports writer working. He makes up for an arguable lack of range by never bobbling a ball he gets to and showcasing a strong arm.

I enjoyed the framing, too. The story kept a good pace and didn't veer from its narrative but avoided making the story seem well-trodden. The Clinton Portis framing device was as important as the McKenna tie and really humanized Snyder.

This might have been the most fair and balanced piece I've read on Snyder, treating him equally as a fat kid in a candy store, a stupid talk-radio caller and a real person trying to make amends.

Draft saved Draft deleted