1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WIAA sues Gannett, Wisconsin Newspaper Association

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gutter, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

... for infringing on its exclusive media ownership rights.

The lawsuit was set in motion after The Appleton Post-Crescent presented a live webcast Nov. 8 on the newspaper's Web site, postcrescent.com, of a playoff football game between Appleton North and Stevens Point in Stevens Point, home of the WIAA.

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/20090305/APC0101/903050491/1979?GID=m7E5ikywKQTTtbaSWtxsgh2uI8mR5S0P1T1lHCYVqqo%3D

2. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Member

Wasn't the Appleton Post-Crescent under the direction of whathisname the SE that everyone hates on here at that time? The guy who went to Huntsville or Montgomery or somewhere in 'Bama?

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Furthermore, wasn't the WIAA the body that refused to let newspapers publish photos of its events?

Seems like a match made in heaven.

4. Mira

Mira Member

Did Brad Zimanek leave? I thought he was the SE there. Really good guy, in my opinion.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

release the hounds!

6. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

There will be no releasing of the hounds. Either discuss the topic at hand, or walk away from this thread.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not sure about Wisconsin, but I know the Illinois HS Association refused to issue press credentials recently due to a spat over online photo resales.

Someone needs to take these arrogant statewide H.S. association officials aside and remind them their organization's events are aided greatly by newspapers and other media.

They need us more than we need them!

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

The WIAA wanted papers to sign a form which said that any photos taken were held under the rights of the WIAA and could not be sold (i.e. to the parents and grandparents of the kids). As far as I know, no one signed the paper, but everyone still came and took pictures (with no repercussions). In fact, I believe the policy still is "on paper" although just ignored.

Live webcast might be tricky territory since the WIAA does farm out its games to a cable outlet, but this lawsuit extends further to the actual coverage of a game, whether by a live blog, audio, etc.

(Although this webcast featured two public schools - i.e. funded by taxpayers; shouldn't they have the say in this, not the WIAA?)

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the photo issue was in Illinois, not Wisconsin.

If the WIAA has awarded video rights for its tournament to another entity then the paper will lose this suit.

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

No, it happened in Wisconsin too:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/preps/29301634.html

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Should have known better than to question you on anything related to the Cheese Nation.

12. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I can't hear you ... I have hunks of gouda lodged in my ears. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted