1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why's no one beating up the ad side?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dave Kindred, Apr 25, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If advertisers want to put up "engaging" PR-style content, why wouldn't they do it on their own web sites instead of ours?

2. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Because "our" site gets more readers.
    You'd hope, anyway.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That doesn't seem like a compelling reason to get them to pay significantly more than they are now. Though I could be wrong.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Well, like I mentioned with my son and video game ads, you can charge more (in theory) if you can show your readers want these ads and will respond to them. What the Internet has done is shown how amazingly inefficient most advertising is -- paying buckets of money for "exposure" that doesn't engage 99 percent of the viewers or readers, and in fact makes them resentful and sends them scurrying away from your ad.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm just wondering how many newspapers have systems to link ads to content and also to users. My chain is just starting to link ads with content, but I brought up targeting ads to users in a meeting and all I got were blank stares. At my paper, there are tons of readers who live in the big city now and with targeted ads, the ad staff could go after companies out of the area.

But unless you have a system to deliver relevant ads in place, all you have are blank billboard ads to sell.

Draft saved Draft deleted