1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why youth sports and $$$$ don't mix

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by FileNotFound, Aug 13, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Maybe it's the Presbyterian coming out in me but this is obscene.

And I agree with Cadet.

Throwing his money around at a small group of kids isn't doing anything constructive for youth sports.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

The thing is, nobody said this was his only charity. I'm sure he likely donnates money to other groups, quite likely other youth sports organizations in the greater-Dallas area as well. He obviously is not a big fan of talking about it. Although he did do the story, if it was all about his selfpromotion I'm sure he'd be talking up and down about how many dollars he is spending on the team, rather than just the advantages of playing for his team. I don't think the kids are getting any sense of self-entitlement out of this, I'm sure they look around and realize how lucky they are an they know that this will not last forever.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My first thought was similar to Cadet's thought.

I see how the billionaire has the right to spend his money however he wants but if I were on the competing teams I would refuse to play against his team(s).

I wish (not demand) that he could see a more egalitarian way to spread his generosity. How about making sure the kids do well in school? Hiring tutors for them to balance their lives? Maybe he already has. It would just be nice to hear that he's sponsored a whole league and provided everyone with the same advantages as his team.

Draft saved Draft deleted