1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why your music sucks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tom Petty, Mar 27, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Works for me. We old farts remain correct, newbie.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Not one rock act on that list. Disappointed, I am. There are some excellent new rock acts out there (see also: Pretty much the entire playlist at Sirius channel 20).

Grunge blew chunks and the ability to play three chords doesn't add up to knowing how to play guitar.

This post is useless without YouTube links. :D

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

She's got a great voice. I just don't care for 99% of the material she's using it on.

4. EStreetJoe

But so did the Go-Gos ;D

5. EStreetJoe

Don't know what channel 20 is, but give me most mid-late 90s/00s altcountry/Americana over 80s pop any day.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That, joe, would be correct...

7. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I'm with Tom Petty. All you little whippersnappers, with your parachute pants and your leg warmers, need to bow down.

Actually, I think the single greatest thing about '80s music might be the evolution of rap music. I read a few weeks ago that rap music sales are dipping and that some believe it's on the decline. I doubt that's true, but I don't think it has the same feel as when it first hit the mainstream with angry voices singing about real societal issues. By the way, there was a regular SportsJournalists.com contributor quoted in the story on rap music. If you can guess who, I'll send you a quarter.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Spnited reads this thread and agrees that 80s music is fun. Nothing like a player piano and a can-can line to take us back to the Arthur administration.

9. You've obviously never listened to Pearl Jam, Nirvana's unplugged album or Alice in Chains then.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Ya had me in one graf and lost me in the second.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My money's on Hondo -- noted rap expert and street cred maven.

"Put your hands in the air ... and wave 'em like you just don't care.
    Let me hear you say! ...
    Hondo's UP-side yo head ... I say Hondo's upside yo head ...
    Louder! ...
    Hondo's UP-side yo head ... I say Hondo's upside yo head ...
    Leave that crack alone ... let me hear you say ... leave that crack alone ...
    Now scream!"

And so on ...

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

love where this thread went, although i'm still reeling from giving the 1992 GNR example and a bit sad nobody mentioned, well, tom petty.

while the thread was started in fun, i have to whole-heartedly stand by the premise.

i also found a lotta humor in the dork who posted a pic of dana carvey as bitter old man.

Draft saved Draft deleted