1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why your music sucks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tom Petty, Mar 27, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Clever, you're going to have to do a better job of building a case for the 90s while bashing the 80s and 00s.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Right. That's why the '90s killed the guitar solo.

Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Slash, Paul Gilbert, Richie Kotzen, Kirk Hammett, Eddie Van Halen and Vivian Campbell all sucked.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

This boy band might just make it:

Give 'em five years, they might come up with something new:

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Holy crap dude. How the fuck did you find that??

That was pretty awful. She was hot though. She looks like a mixture of Linda Hamilton and Tara Reid. Could do without the cowboy hat shots that make her look like a chick Bret Michaels. And the video looks like it was shot at the same time as a Sass Jordan video.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Never questioned their talent/skill. Doesn't mean I enjoy listening to them. There's a difference.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Really? Then why did you say uthe bands of the '90s could play the guitar?

That would be an impressive feat, noticing the guitar in the music of the '90s, since it was buried in the background.

The '90s killed guitars yet the guitarists of the '90s were better than those of the '80s. With logic like that, you should run a newspaper. "We are doing more with a staff of six in a 24-page paper than we ever did with a staff of 24 in a 36-page paper."

7. Clever username

I didn't read the whole thread, so I don't know when this turned to the point where people were taking things personally. The discussion started off as one on pop music of the era. That's what I was commenting on. Yes, Slash and Kirk Hammett were in bands that were immensely popular, but Guns n Roses and Metallica weren't quite the same thing as Banarama or the Bangles. I'd much rather listen to the Stone Temple Pilots, which were a cheap ripoff of Pearl Jam, than Poison or Whitesnake and that type of shit, not to mention all the crap groups that made extensive use of the synthesizer. That's all I was commenting on.

So in other words, calm the fuck down.

8. Clever username

Yes, it was a generalization. The same way some have generalized the music of today by saying it sucks and others have generalized the music of the 90s by saying it sucks. I was just throwing a joke answer out there with the sucks and blows Simpsons reference. And again, I was referring to the fact that music in the 90s, at least the early 90s, was a radical and appreciated departure from the poppy crap of the 80s.

The Edge can play a pretty mean guitar and so can Mike Ness. They're both in bands that started in the 80s. That doesn't mean I like the overall body of musical work the 80s produced. I prefer Mike McCready to Yngwie Malmsteen. That doesn't mean I think Malmsteen can't play guitar, it's just not what I prefer to listen to.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

And while we're at it, stop rippin' on the girl bands. The Bangles did some very good stuff. :p

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I am calm. I didn't even curse.

If you'd said you hated '80s guitarists, I would think your taste in music sucks, but we can all disagree. But to say the guitarists of the '90s were better than those of the '80s--despite the obvious de-emphasization of guitars in music in the '90s--is putting-foil-along-the-windows-so-the-government-can't-read-your-thoughts batshit insane.

It's nothing personal of course.

11. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

All you old pricks slamming today's music sound like this guy

[​IMG]

That is all

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

DD ... you would have loved our recent 80s party down here, complete with this drunk-ass bitch rapping slurring the Beastie Boys' Paul Revere acapello, after butchering the fuck out of Rock Me Amadeus. There was also an attempt, a very feeble attempt, at the worm, which looked more like me flopping around like a dead fish. Good times.

Draft saved Draft deleted