1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why your music sucks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tom Petty, Mar 27, 2007.

1. rallen13

rallen13 Member

I defer to you young pups on this one since I date to Big Band and early Rock ' Roll.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's not '80s, but I just popped in Weezer's first album (The Blue Album) after having not heard it for probably years. What a fantastic CD! There's not a bad tune on there. Everyone remembers it for Buddy Holly and The Sweater Song, but this thing kicks ass from beginning to end. You've also got In The Garage, My Name Is Jonas, Say It Ain't So, and Surf Wax America.

This CD might just be the '27 Yankees of '90s rock music. If you were into music in that decade and don't have that CD, you didn't know what you were doing.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

TSP, it's pretty funny but I did the exact same thing recently. Looking through my in-car CD book and there's the blue album of Weezer's. Great songs, all of them, but I love Holiday.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I don't get the bashing of Christina. Woman's got phenomenal range, a great voice and the smarts to work with top songwriters and producers. Just because it's current, doesn't mean it sucks.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

That this thread was not started by Hondo ranks as the greatest upset at SportsJournalists.com since Chuck Taylor didn't start the latest Kobe whackoff thread.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Bless you, DD. Bless you.

The funniest/most ironic part about the Fallen Angel video is that the woman who played the tituliar (huh huh he said tit) character actually dated Bret Michaels, who produced her debut album and got her a spot on Capitol Records. Then they broke up and she was never heard from again.

So really, if you think about it, the song was an autobiographical song for Michaels, except from the point of view of guy who gets his nuts kicked up his stomach. Awesome. Totally awesome.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Some things never change.

Back in the mid-80's, I used to help organize a fund-raiser for a Toronto hospice. For severa years we threw a "60's dance" at an old lakeside dance hall.

You were supposed to come in costume, they had hairdressers there to do the women's hair in a Jackie O/Twiggy/Mersey style. There were prizes for best costume, etc.. They were unbelievably fun.

After the fourth year everyone decided they were sick of dancing to "Satisfaction" and we stopped having them.

Good tilts though. About 400 people at each one.

Memo to the music of the 80's crowd: Your music sucks. :)

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Susie Hatton! Watch her awful video here:

http://www.allmusicvideocodes.com/s/Susie-Hatton/2566-Blue-Monday/index.html

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

If I ever come up to Toronto again, I'm going to get Huggy and we're going to kick your ass from there to Halifax.

You don't EVER badmouth the decade that gave us Glass Tiger and Bryan Adams! EVER!!!! :D :D :D

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

"Summer of 69" is one of my all time favorite sing-along tunes.

12. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I'll settle this debate. The music of the '80s and today both sucks and blows equally hard. There are exceptions on both sides, of course, but overall the amount of suckitude is off the charts. At least bands from the 90s knew how to play a guitar.

Draft saved Draft deleted