1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why you should hit deer on the road...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

I was doing 65 on a motorcycle in Eastern Montana when a deer jumped out in front of me. I laid it down. Broke all the ribs on my left side, punctured a lung, lacerated my spleen, tore up my arms with road rash. I went bouncing through the passing lane of the interstate and was fortunate no one was coming.

In retrospect, I probably should have driven up the ass of the deer. In any event, it's not something I'll have to revisit. The bike is gone, and I'll never be on the back of one again.

2. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I flipped my Accord years ago when I swerved to avoid a deer in the road. It was out of control and flipped several times, landing right-side up facing the opposite way on the emergency lane and wedged up against an embankment. Soooo lucky to be alive and glad my seatbelt was buckled and working well. Walked away with bruises and cuts although very shook up. I won't even start the car now without everyone's seatbelt buckled. And if I ever saw another deer, I'd hit it. It was just an automatic reaction to swerve. I'd do everything I could to control that now. Rick, glad you're all right although the insurance thing sucks. My insurance got me a new car because mine was totaled. Just told them it was a deer-related accident and they put it down as act of God or something.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

two stories, both about 20 years ago...
    A) Crossing the Mendota Heights bridge one snowy night on Minnesota 55, there was a huge ass buck on the bridge. I went ahead and he moved. I pulled over after I passed so my heart would start. A Minnesota State Trooper pulled up behind me and started drilling me on what I was doing on the side of the road, had I been drinking....
    "There was a huge fucking deer on the bridge! Didn't you see the fucker?"
    He shined his light back and it was about 100 yards behind our cars, staring into the light. He had passed it and never saw it.
    He sweat a little after that.
    2) Buddy and I are driving from Detroit to Minneapolis. Somewhere after the Tomah I-90/94 split. I start driving. Maybe 10 minutes after that, I'm in the right lane being passed by a semi; I'm a car length ahead and it's flurries. Two deer dart out in front from my right. I gently roll to the right, instinctively and turn back in -- as if I'm trying not to run over a scrap of tire.
    Both car and semi miss the deer and we keep going -- smooth, calm, no big deal
    Five minutes later, I had to pull off the road because my hands were shaking so badly.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

For those of you in deer country (and that's most of North America), you should consider adding a grill guard if your vehicle can take one.

I had one on Jeep Cherokee years ago when I hit a deer. Just had to wash the blood and fur off the bumper loop.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Fucking deer.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted