1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why you should hit deer on the road...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Do they still make deer whistles? I had a neighbor who swore by them.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

If you could mount a rocket launcher on the hood of your car, deer wouldn't necessarily be a highway hazard any more.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I swerved for a deer once and after doing three 360 spins and stopping facing a semi-truck going 55 mile per hour, I decided to never swerve for deer again. For the record, I got out of the way in time by flooring it in reverse and cutting the wheel, doing a 180 and slamming it back into drive. I nearly died. And I think my transmission completely died.

Great story to tell though.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

There was a long, poorly-lit county road that I usually took coming back from the town center while in college, and my only deer run-in was when the silver SUV that cut me off ended up hitting one about 200 feet in front of me.

It was sweet, sweet justice, only because the deer limped away and the SUV wasn't damaged.

5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

They do absolutely nothing, except for looking ridiculous and making money for the people who sell them.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

My wife used to take that exact stretch of highway for work all the time. Sobering is right.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I haven't read all the replies, but I can say this: When I took a driver's education course, the instructor told us to hit whatever animal ran out in front of us.

For some reason, that really stuck with me. I found it made sense and was cruel all at the same time.

8. RickStain

Took the advice and went ahead and hit a deer coming home from a basketball game tonight. It was dark and ran right in front of me, I never had a chance. Luckily I just clipped it pretty good with my passenger side, but it's done some serious damage to my car.

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

RS, you did the right thing. Your car can be repaired.

If you're dead, you can't be repaired.

10. RickStain

Okay, I just found out that driving my personal vehicle on company business does not mean the company is responsible for insuring against the damages. With the deductible, I'm out $1,000 for using my car to cover their shit. Now I'm kinda pissed.

11. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Glad to hear you're all right though, Rick. If you're injured at all, it should be a workers' comp case, however.

12. RickStain

I'm thinking about some phantom neck pain cropping up just to get my money back for this. But I'm too wussy to actually go through with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted