1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why You Have to Love the Rocket

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 8, 2007.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

One man's opinion:

-- A-Rod shouldn't have screamed
    -- MLB shouldn't have told Toronto not to retaliate in NY
    -- Whoever was pitching Game 1 of the series for Toronto shouldn't have missed
    -- Toronto was right to drill him yesterday
    -- I've got no problem with Clemens drilling him in the 7th, though "chickenshit" here seems to mean different things for different teams.
    -- Toronto should plunk A-Rod, or Jeter, today.

Now, if you're Toronto, do you peg somebody today? You could argue Jays likely felt they were even after A-Rod got drilled and Clemens' pasting of Rios would require retaliation.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Pastor always posts in blue, FWIW. I think.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Well said, although I would think it should be over.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

My 2 cents

This is the most blown out of proportion story of the year. My god. It wasn't a bush league play, it was a sandlot play. Who here didn't do something like that growing up playing minor ball or fucking around out on the diamond with some friends? The third baseman should have the concentration that a "HA!" doesn't pull him off the pop up. Last I checked "I got it!" was the international call to get the fuck out of the way. Would like to point out he is no longer up in the majors.
    I am by no means an A-Rod apologist – hell I hope he blows his knee out to a career ending degree one home run shy of Baroid – but by no means was it a dirty play. At the least you can wrap it up to him having fun out there – OMG.
    To retaliate the way the Blue Jays did was bull shit through and through.

As far as Towers is concerned he is headed to the bullpen and is trying to earn brownie points with his teammates.

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

Correct.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Mega Jays fanboy looser here who thought there was nothing wrong with what ARod did, a point I also made when this was first discussed here in the wake of the incident. If Jeter had done it people would have lauded his smarts or whatever.

Shit like this goes on in hockey all the time. Next time you're at a game (it's tougher to see on TV) watch for opposing guys banging their sticks on the ice hoping the guy with the puck passes to them or yelling for drop passes when they're trailing the play.

Anyway, I would have thought this was over when Litsch threw behind ARod on Monday. I was surprised Towers hit him, unless as someone earlier pointed out, Litsch was supposed to hit him and missed. Might have missed it in the papers here but I had seen nothing of an alleged MLB desist order against the Jays when they were in NY. I emailed a guy I know who works on their telecasts to see if he'd heard anything about it.

Fuck Rahjah by the way. Matt Stairs should have gone out and fucked him up.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Like Clemens wasn't going for brownie points, either.

If I were on the Jays, I'd mention something in the postgame interviews about A-Rod having as much respect for the game as he does for his wife - none. A-Rod's about the last guy on earth that should be woofing at opposing players. If I were his teammate, I'd sit his ass down and tell him he's going places he really doesn't want to go.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Talk about a non-event.

Dave Feschuk of the Star sums it up best in his column today

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/244235
    The Blue Jays lost, 9-2. And the lamentable thing in Toronto is that while the Yankees continue a recent surge that has put them in the middle of the playoff race, a half-game out of the wild-card berth, Towers' special delivery might go down as the most memorable thing to happen here all season. That Towers gave up a two-run double to the next batter, Jorge Posada – a hit that was only the beginning of the Yankee deluge – is a window on why.

The Jays, seven games out of the playoffs after their second straight loss to New York, can only bask in the glow of thorough vigilantism.

Said Posada of the Yankees: "We've got a lot more things to worry about than stupid things like what happened tonight."

And Huggy's right. Stairs should have fucking jerseyed Clemens.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

De rien, mon frere. Merci.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

That's because pitchers who hit people by accident because they're wild don't last long enough to be among the career leaders. Hall of Famers tend to pitch a long time, therefore have a chance to hit a lot of batters -- though the point can be made that most of those HBPs were on purpose, meaning the toughest guys tend to get in the Hall.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Since you and The World's Biggest Pacifist seem to be Rocket fans, try and find the biopic made a year or so ago. Good stuff--it has subtitles because there's a bunch of, you know, francophones, in it.

Also appearing were a number of NHL Stars like Vinnie Lecavalier (Beliveau) but the best was Elmer Lach played by Mike Ricci.

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Pena is indeed a quitter. Towers would know that if he was with Toronto a couple years ago when Pena up and quit on the Royals in the midst of a series.

And if you're looking for more Rocket, he's apparently supposed to be on a new episode of Mythbusters tonight... a baseball-themed episode.

Draft saved Draft deleted