1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why You Have to Love the Rocket

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I go back and forth on Rocket but the one thing I love is his old schools ways. You drill a teammate then you best be prepared for one of your guys to get drilled.

Last night Alex Rios was cast in spotlight and drilled in the middle of his back for his troubles.

A few weeks ago when Toronto was in New York they professed that the bad blood was over with A-Rod, then they pull the chickenshit move of beaning him when he comes to Toronto.

I guess they were afraid to try it in Yankee Stadium.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Or maybe MLB told them not to pull any shit during the series in NY, which has been reported.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

It was good seeing Rocket get his teammate's back like that. He's still a jerk for the way he handled things in the offseason with Houston, though.

4. Roger_Clemens

Roger_Clemens New Member

Well, I look over at Deb, and she give me that look, like "Whatcha waitin for, git 'er done" so yeah.

Ah'm just here to help the team, and good lord willin, everything'll work out.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Oops. Wrong thread.

[​IMG]

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

And chickenshit?

Screaming at a guy as you're running to third, OTOH, is the height of manliness.

And A-Rod was beaned in the third inning. Clemens waited until he was finished for the day and beaned Rios in the seventh.

7. alanTdot

alanTdot Member

Arod beaned in the third. Clemens threw at Rios in the seventh. Good Ol' Rocket, getting up to his pitch count by all means necessary.

And Arod bringing the bat with him to the mound was the height of sportsmanship as well I am sure ... .

8. Boom_70

Toronto had 27 innings to take care of A-Rod in New York - while the wound was still fresh. Clemens only waited 4 innings to take care of things.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Does any pitch that hits a batter anywhere on the body count as a beaning now? I thought the definition was hitting someone in the head, the bean, with an object -- in this context, a baseball. Weren't the batters discussed here hit in the calf and back, respectively?

10. alanTdot

alanTdot Member

MLB went to the Jays before the NY series and said any messing around would be treated very harshly.

It was a chickenshit move by Arod, and he deserved that beaning.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Perfectly executed by Clemens. He waited until he was done with his night's work, then drilled their best hitter between the numbers. Professional work.

Someone should seriously consider drug testing Larry Bowa, though.

12. Boom_70

That makes no sense - why would it be ok in Toronto then? Did MLB lift the ban?

Toronto should be treated just as harshly now.

Draft saved Draft deleted