1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why WWE coverage?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JR119, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Wait! The Westminster Dog Show is fixed?

JR119 and HanSenSE like this.
  2. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Trying to figure out how Doris Roberts' death could be spinned to the sports page.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

If we're really going to get technical, sports at the college level and beyond are part of the entertainment business.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Pro wrestling should be easy to cover. If you know the right people, you can get results before the matches.

JR119 and Matt Stephens like this.
  5. Kolchak

Kolchak Active Member

We've had to run it if news doesn't want to run it, which is odd to have one day's story in the A section and then the next day's story in Sports, but that's our paper for you.

JR119 likes this.
  6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Heaven forbid, but if Brock Lesnar dies in the next three years, where do you put his obit?

What about Kurt Angle? Or Bill Goldberg? Or Ron Simmons? Or Ken Shamrock? Or Mark Henry?

A lot of these guys were prominent athletes in "real" sports before they became pro wrestlers.

7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Boxing has been predetermined for a couple of decades and we put it in the Sports section.

JR119 and HanSenSE like this.
  8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Sorry, but none of these guys merits much more than a brief or a short obit inside.

JR119 likes this.
  9. MisterCreosote

Inside where? Sports, right?

Also, Lesnar is more than a brief. He's on the sports front, at the very least.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

We'd put it inside the A section, probably our page 2 entertainment deal, I'm sure. Still not sports to me. I know Lesnar was a pretty prominent wrestler in college, but meh. Who cares about college wrestling? Depends where you are, but the cover? Not by my thinking.

JR119 likes this.
  11. MisterCreosote

He was a national champion wrestler. He was also UFC heavyweight champion and easily their biggest draw. He also walked onto a football field for the first time in almost a decade and damn-near made an NFL roster.

He's also WWE's top star and has been for quite some time.

12. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

A former UFC champion dying deserves to be in the sports section

Draft saved Draft deleted