1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Wrigley Field should be destroyed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, May 15, 2012.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Yea, you can drive past and see a seven-year old banner that the White Sox proudly fly as if they won it yesterday. :D

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Seven years is yesterday when compared to a century-plus.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

More reasons to fail: too many day home games in a sizzling, humid ball park in July/August, and the comfort zone afforded by the adoring.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If the Cubs were actually decent for any extended period of time, it wouldn't be nearly as much to make jokes about them.

But, yeah, Wrigley Field and Fenway Park and all the other pre-WWII parks should be nuked as soon as possible.

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I'm surprised The Man lets you watch baseball, what with your precarious legal status and all.

6. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I think those are the only two.

After that isn't Dodger Stadium the oldest?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Beat me to it. Though I probably would have stopped at "Bullshit."

MacPhail's statement was nothing more than a transparent attempt to cover for the fact that with all the resources he had at his disposal he fucking sucked as a team president and then compounded that fact by hiring fucking idiots like Ed Lynch run the fucking team.

I've been following this team for damn near 40 years and this is the first time I can remember them actually embarking on a rebuilding program.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Actually, watching the Cubs is part of his punishment.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Theo Epstein hasn't done or planned anything that Andy MacPhail didn't do when he took over. He's just hopefully going to be better at it.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

If by "long ago", you mean "in the late 1990s after they failed, again, to strong-arm the city into building them a new stadium", then sure.

Consider:

http://sabr.org/latest/construction-background-helped-stout-write-seymour-medal-winning-fenway-1912

11. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Yup.

Fenway, 1912
    Wrigley, 1914
    Dodger Stadium, 1962
    Angel Stadium, 1966
    Oakland whatever it's called right now, 1966
    Kauffman Stadium, 1973
    Rogers Centre, 1989

Who'd think that Rogers Center is the seventh-oldest stadium in the majors?

Eighth oldest? The Trop. No. Really.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I could make a really nasty comment about Boston, here, but I'll resist. Kumbaya.

Draft saved Draft deleted