1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Wrigley Field should be destroyed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, May 15, 2012.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I only took 30 seconds. It wasn't worth reading until the end.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

My feelings about the franchise are well-known, but this remains the most beloved ballpark in America, and the surrounding neighborhood lends a good deal to its overall charms.

There are structural issues, but everything possible should be done to save it.

The best thing to do would be to hire competent personnel-evaluation management, because the suckers aren't going to come around to see a punchless dugout full of junk, for the foreesable.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Wrigley Field is the Cubs' biggest and this season only gate attraction. It's WHY the franchise is valuable. Getting rid of it would be financial insanity. The Red Sox owners came to that realization about Fenway long ago.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Sounds like a copout to me. If you have an outdoor stadium where there are four seasons of weather, you will always have better conditions for pitchers when it's cooler out, and balls sailing out when it's hot and humid.

I've seen the "day games hurt our team" argument from Cubs GMs over the years, too, but it seems like they have more and more night games every year, so that excuse is going away.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's actually pretty close to the blueprint Epstein seems to be working on.

The number of night games is negotiated with the city. It doesn't go up too often.

6. BrendaStarr

BrendaStarr Member

What a lazily written article. If you're going to write about something that people have written about 1,000 times change up the argument or add something new to the story.

Two of the bigger challenges facing the Cubs with Wrigley Field - excluding the lack of foresight to buy surrounding land of course - are the restrictions by being labeled a landmark and the current lack of support from the alderman/rooftop owners which will be a battle.

And I agree, such a copout. Both teams are playing in the same conditions whether they're good or bad that day.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Cubs fans who keep blaming their team's woes on the ballpark deserve the crappy teams they get. Let me echo the competent management theme from above.

8. ETN814

ETN814 Member

"Strikeout guys" tend to be the ones that give up kind of deep flies that find their way out of the park on a windy day.

Now, grounders play in any condition.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I thought the guy was being tongue-in-cheek.

Wait.

I still think the guy was being tongue-in-cheek.

Not saying it was a classic by any means, but I don't think he meant this seriously.

10. RickStain

It's not the ballpark, but it's not just been management either. They've had some good teams. What separates them from the White Sox or a team like that is just shitty luck.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . not to mention a buncha ballplayers with ZERO plate patience. Toss in a ton of lapses in focus, and you've got "La, la, la . . . Cubs lose . . . "

12. RickStain

Depends on the year. The 2008 Cubs were a very patient bunch.

Draft saved Draft deleted