1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Wrigley Field should be destroyed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, May 15, 2012.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Ozzie Guillen did not write this.

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article/SB10001424052702304192704577404424241146562.html

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Is this a trick question?

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

There is probably a very thoughtful, logical, indepth story to be written on this subject, taking into account relevant socio-economic, architectural, historic, and countless other components.

That was not it. Put that headline in the 'LOOK AT ME' file along with the Time breastfeed cover and the Newsweek gay president cover.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, that's 45 seconds of my life I'll never get back.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Agree, 21 ... that article was longwinded, poorly written (with about six em-dashes in one sentence), and his three main arguments have been talked about for decades.

The Cubs owners have been selling the tourist attraction more than the team for the past 30 years, and that won't change.

If you want to see a team that (occasionally) wins, drive eight miles south! :D

6. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Wait, will the Cubs also be in the stadium when it's blown up? Because this could change a lot of opinions on the matter.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Actually, what I would like to see talked about more is the point Andy MacPhail brought up in the story -- that because of the weather conditions at Wrigley, you can't build a team for the home park, because one day balls might be flying out of there, and another day they're lazy flies that stay in the park. That hurts building your pitching, too. Though you can't blame weather conditions for whatever the hell happened to Carlos Marmol.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'll never understand why the owners of some of these franchises didn't buy up real estate surrounding their stadia over the years.

NYU and Columbia University own all kinds of land near them. They're constantly buying, so they can expand, build more housing, etc.

The owners of the Cubs could have bought the entire neighborhood over the years, and been able to fix up the ball park and area in a way that would have driven incredible revenue.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I believe the Wrigley family still owns the land underneath Wrigley.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Bullshit

If you keep five outfielders, have two big boppers who make decent contact and two be speed guys. Platoon to the conditions of the day. Do the same with two utility guys.

For the pitchers, strikeout guys do well in any conditions. If they cannot hit the ball, it does not matter what the wind is doing.

That field should be to their advantage, not their disadvantage.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

New stadiums are always a great salve for what ails a franchise.

[​IMG]

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Thank you for showing an example of a city doing a wonderful job of improving the quality of life for its residents with a gorgeous ballpark.

Draft saved Draft deleted