1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would it be "racist" to consider your reaction to this question?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Noting your feelings on 9/13/2001, if some prophetic utterance or your mother's wise voice had said that following the Bush presidency, his successor would have spent time in a "Muslim" school, and carried the birth name of "Barack Hussein," be honest. What would your thoughts have been THEN?

2. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Now, let's see if we can be mature and honest.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Okay, I give.

What exactly is the point?

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Why is that question unclear to you? You honestly think there wouldn't have been considerable shudder, not knowing the in-betweens of history, if people knew then the possibility?

You're not that dumb to sense a certain amount of concern.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Fearmongering.

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Hell no, it wouldn't have been fear mongering then. Can you not shift your mind to the mood of the country, liberal fringe included, on 9/2001?

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

8. I'll repeat what I told you in PM...

King George and George Washington had the same name. So what?

I knew on 9/13/01 that Muslims as a whole weren't to blame anymore than Christians as a whole were to blame for the Holocaust.

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

No wonder we repeat history. People like you can't remember it. And you write it down, and pass it on to today's readers. And some of them believe it.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

That 7 years later, some one-note jackass would start an interweb thread about it that would last nearly 8 hours before being nuked?

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The question is clear. The motivation behind it, isn't so much.

I suppose if I considered all Muslims to be my sworn enemy, I'd probably be scared and angry. But I never did, so I never was.

And even if I WAS, taking the temperature of society 48 hours after 9/11 would be like taking a thermometer that's been sitting on a hot light bulb for three straight days, then sticking it in someone's mouth for two seconds and expecting to get a reliable reading. I'm pretty sure most of us were still pretty stunned on 9/13. God knows I was, and I had to drive up to D.C. for a job interview that day. An interview that had been originally scheduled for ... wait for it ...

12. The first version of this thread lasted about eight minutes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.