1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would anyone write, or say, that Favre has finally "retired for good?"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Jan 3, 2011.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's bullshit! Look at how easily these two get along!!!!!!

[​IMG]

I would pay good money to be in a Rodgers scrum when someone asks him the impact Favre had on his career. Rodgers seems like a good guy who would politely shrug it off, but the expression on his face, I imagine, would be priceless.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If Favre was willing to slide into the Mark Brunell role of mentoring a young quarterback and being a viable No. 2 option on a decent to real good team, then Favre could be playing for another three or five years.

Last year, at 41 or so, he had the best statistical season of his career. He still has the physical tools to be a long-term backup and occasional starter.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Favre doesn't mentor anybody. I know a lot of his backups have gone on to do well, but it's in large part because they've had guys like Andy Reid, Mike Holmgren, Steve Mariucci, Jon Gruden and Mike McCarthy working with them.

Hasselbeck always tells a story about how one season when Favre threw a touchdown off his back foot, Andy Reid grabbed him and said, "Don't you ever try to do that."

From a technique standpoint, Favre does almost everything wrong. That's why he drove Holmgren nuts. He's in no position to teach any quarterback anything.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Maybe Favre will go into, um, coaching. Or broadcasting. Or open his own used car dealership. Or sports book in Vegas. Or be a real estate agent. Or defense attorney. The possibilities are endless.

BTW, does Favre have kids?

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I always thought it was interesting that Favre was so tight with backups like Hasselbeck, Detmer, Pederson and Nall (?? I think that's his name, Craig something), but treated Rodgers like he had the plague. I presume it's b/c he knew Hasslebeck, Detmer, Pederson and Nall presented absolutely zero threat to his job, but Rodgers did.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

He's a Grandpappy.

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

None of them were taken in the 1st round by a GM would wouldn't hire Brett's hand-picked head coach, Steve Mariucci, toward the end of his career.

Add Mark Brunell to that list.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Favre's agent called Ted Thompson when the Packers were on the clock in 2005 and told him "Brett wants you to take Logan Mankins." who the Pats took a few picks later. Thompson hung up on him.

To be fair, Mankins was a pretty good pick for the Pats.

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Sid is senile if he thinks Favre is the most popular player to every grace the Vikings locker room. Especially when I think back to many of the classy Vikings players of the 70s. But then again, Sid IS senile.

There may be a small percentage of Viking fans who would still like to see He Who Shall Not Be Named return next season, but from my observations and conversations (funny, in my area, once a sportswriter, always a sportswriter in the public's eye), most want to see him gone. And I'm hurt that you think I would resort to assassination. (Ignore that black attache with unmarked bills.)

But with this newest development, I think the chances of him unretiring are looking pretty slim at this point. (I can only hope!)

Massage therapists sue Favre, Jets over text messages, say they lost work after complaining

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Favre does possess the skill level, even heading into age 42, to be an NFL starter.

However, he is uncoachable AND a coach killer. Also, he requires:
    - Warm weather or a dome.
    - Coach that doesn't mind a mid-August arrival.
    - a top-flight RB so defenses can't stack the line.
    - an established coach. No first-year guy on his first job wants the Black Widow quarterbacking his team.
    - a team without a strong QB

That means Cardinals and that's it.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

THE 'MENTORING' SHIT NEVER WORKS.

Well, not 'never,' but close enough that the exceptions pretty much prove the rule.

If the seasoned-savvy-veteran QB still has anything on the ball, he wants to play.

If he doesn't, and the hot-prospect young QB really has potential, you want the young kid in the lineup.

You don't learn anything from holding clipboards except how to hold clipboards.

The best thing a seasoned-savvy-veteran QB can do to speed the development of a hot-prospect kid is to play just well enough in camp that the kid feels some pressure to perform to stay in the lineup, and then to get the hell out of the way.

If your OL is so awful the hot-prospect kid is going to be subjected to confidence-and-clavicle-shattering poundings, you can throw the old gaffer in there to take the pummeling, but if he's still a starting-caliber QB, he ain't gonna want to do that either.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I just don't quite get why anyone would take him at his word on this, even if all signs point to no. People laughed when it was suggested he might play for the Jets. Then they did the same when it was rumored he might play for the Vikings. I've lost track of how many times I heard, or read, "there is no chance Favre will play next year. He is going to be a land baron down in The Kill."

Why put your credibility out there just so you can write another Favre eulogy?

I completely agree that Favre doesn't mentor anyone. That's how the media would spin it, but he'd sooner massage Ted Thompson's junk then teach Andrew Luck and Jimmy Claussen how to play quarterback for the league minimum. So no, he'll never go anywhere if he's not getting paid. In fact, there has never been a sillier meme than "Brett would play for free because he loves the game so much!"

But the truth is, he needs the game. Some team playoff team loses its quarterback five games into the season next year, can you really say Favre couldn't be talked into returning? As Mizzou said, he's grumbled about this for a decade.

Ricky Henderson spent two years with the Newark Bears and another with the San Diego SurfDawgs before he finally accepted that he wasn't going to play anymore. At age 46. Maybe that's not Favre, but I wouldn't go around making definitive statements that it wasn't just because I wanted to write a nice little obit to his career.

Draft saved Draft deleted