1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would anyone write, or say, that Favre has finally "retired for good?"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to his debut as an Iowa Barnstormer.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I just got back from Minnesota so last night watched the Sports Show, with Reusse, Sid Hartman and other Twin Cities media stars. Sid said Favre's the most popular player in the locker room he's seen since the Vikings have been around. I know, it's Sid, he also thinks the Gophers would contend for the Big Ten Title this year if only Mark Olberding was still in school, but the guy has seen every player to wear the Purple. Favre has his fans.

If the Vikings' options next year are Joe Webb and some rookie, I'm sure plenty of players would prefer Favre. So would many Vikings fans, although many more, including Rosie and my dad, would likely try to assassinate him before he had the chance to again miss training camp and arrive by plane in September.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Teams for which Favre MAY be the best option...

Carolina -- Not really since they'll take Luck.
    Arizona -- Sure, but they'll end up with McNubb.
    Seattle -- Eh. Perhaps
    Denver -- Eh. Maybe.
    Oakland -- Some will say yes. I say no.
    Cincy -- With Palmer likely out, sure.
    Tennessee -- Why not.
    San Fran -- Debacle. Sure.
    Buffalo -- Sure.
    Miami -- Who else they got?

That's 10 teams. Not bad.

4. JackReacher

I didn't hate what I saw out of Joe Webb. I think he could be good. Then again, I'm not an NFL talent evaluator, so if he ends up shitting the bed the rest of his career, go eff!

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If Palmer leaves Cincy he's a better option than Favre at everyone of those stops.

And if a 44-year old QB coming off a concussion and multiple other injuries is the best option for damn near a third of the league that says more about the shitty state of professional qb'ing (and QB development) than it does about Favre's fitness to play the position.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The important thing is that someone can claim to have broken the news.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Taking Luck doesn't preclude them from signing him. In fact, they might get it in their heads he'll "mentor" Luck, which is insane.

As for Arizona, what if McNabb ends up in Minny? Or just retires?

Denver, again, seems like madness, but so did Ali fighting Trevor Berbick.

Oakland has a crazy enough owner to believe it's a good idea.

Tennessee has enough talent where he might buy in if Fisher was still there. "Jeff is the best coach I've ever played for."

San Fran, same deal, with the right coach who is willing to beg him. They're not that far away.

Miami seems unlikely, but again, what they get desperate and he decides to go on a Jets revenge tour?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

All of those teams will easily find someone who's a better roll of the dice than Favre, whether it's Kevin Kolb or Matt Flynn or Ryan Mallett or Cam Newton or Blaine Gabbert or whatever. (Assuming the Panthers take Luck, you could also throw Clausen onto this list of players a team would be more willing to take a chance on.) Also of your 10 teams, there are at least two (Denver and Oakland) who are much better off with what they have now than what Favre would bring.

If you're that desperate for a quarterback, chances are you have a long slog back toward competitiveness. So by the time it makes a difference, he's going to be 2-3 years older.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Favre is done, over, going home for good, still dizzy from the Corey Wootton (Jersey guy) concussion hit.
    He will not be back under any circumstance.

10. JackReacher

No way Carolina would EVER sign Favre, even to mentor Luck. Unless Favre is willing to take about a 90 percent pay cut. And we all know that ain't happening.

But yeah. The draft will produce at least three QBs who would take a spot away from Favre.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I feel certain the NFL's quiet resolution of the Jenn Sterger Matter included the following: "It'll cost you $50K and we'll bury this forever if you promise not to return in 2011 or ever. Otherwise, we'll drop the nuke."

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

1. Favre doesn't mentor anyone.
    2. Favre doesn't take a pay cut for anyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted