1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would anyone write, or say, that Favre has finally "retired for good?"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Once again, we have the 10th round of Brett Favre eulogies being written today, which still kind of baffles me. I don't want to link to any of them because I'm not up for calling anyone out, but Jesus. How do you potentially fall for this act for the fourth time?

Yes, it's unlikely he'll have any suitors next year after the disastrous run this year. And the dong shots and $50,000 fine from the NFL probably don't help either when it comes to convincing teams he's worth a shot.

But cripes, how many times do we have to fall for this? I'm convinced he won't actually leave the game until he's dragged off on a cart. The man has an addictive personality. He's an addict. And he doesn't really know how to quit. I'm still not convinced he doesn't try to give it one last ride in Arizona next year if there is football, and Whisenhunt realizes Favre is a better option than Max Hall or Derek Anderson. If not there, the Redskins are always in the market to handcuff their coach with a past-his-prime, overpaid veteran.

Here's his retirement speech, btw -- from three years ago.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It is utterly ridiculous.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Zippy chance he plays last year. Just my opinion.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Yeah, the only way those words should be written is if it's in a graf that goes, "Brett Favre has retired for good. Favre, the Mississippi gunslinger who threw 654 touchdowns in a career spent in Green Bay, New York, Minnesota, Arizona, Cleveland, Washington, Denver and Oakland, died today at his Hattiesburg home, hours after running through passing drills with local high school kids under the watchful eye of Ed Werder."

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The difference is this is the first time he has "retired" when he hasn't been one of the top 10-15 quarterbacks available in the world. So it's the first time he isn't going to have the option to unretire.

6. Double Down

Hold on, Marty McFly. Did you go back and erase his 2009 season in Minny? Are you the doctor from Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind, or did you steal the Time Turner from Prisoner of Azkaban?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I always laugh when people say, "Favre's been pulling this for three years now."

No, he's been pulling it annually since 2001. That's when he told Peter King that "every off-season, retirement looks like a much better option."

He actually retired the day after the Packers lost to the Falcons in January of 2003 and Mort even reported it before Mike Sherman and Bus Cook talked him out of it.

I think he's done. I think he thinks he's done. I don't think there is a NFL team right now that would take him even if he wanted to play. But wait until two weeks into the preseason when some QB blows out his ACL and then see if some team wants him.

8. Double Down

True or False -- With time to heal, he is better than Derek Anderson, Max Hall, Alex Smith, Troy Smith, Matt Moore, Jimmy Claussen, among others.

9. JackReacher

HAHA. My bad. NEXT year.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. JackReacher

True. But that's six QBs on three teams, correct?

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

False simply because at his age he will constantly be suffering from nagging injuries that reduce his effectiveness.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I see this quote in our future ...

"I'd like to the fans for their support. I'll never forget how I was treated by the great fans of the Omaha Nighthawks. The UFL has been great to me."

Draft saved Draft deleted