1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why worry if you have nothing to hide?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Oh, and facial recognition is being used in airports and big events, like the Super Bowl. Damn right it is legal. If you are walking around in public, what expectation of privacy of your face do you have? If you don't like that prospect, wear a burka.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

X-Hack, Ace and Donny in his element like this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There is a difference between walking in public where there are security cameras recording EVERYONE. ... and being stopped by a cop who then snaps your photo for the specific purpose of seeing if you come up in his database.

The police are supposed to be held to a high standard -- however we want to parse the 4th amendment or try to figure out how technology fits in. Cops don't get to go on fishing expeditions or harass people indiscriminately because their spidey senses are tingling. Probable cause is established by factual evidence, NOT a cop's suspicions or hunches. For good reason. They are supposed to get warrants to do a search. They can briefly detain you for investigatory purposes with reasonable suspicion -to believe that you are committing a crime. But even reasonable suspicion isn't just their hunch. It is established by facts and circumstances. When they do that kind of stop, it doesn't give them a broad right to go fishing or to act on their hunches. They can't search you, for example, without your consent -- that is what the 4th Amendment is there for. It just follows for me that in the spirit of that, they should not be snapping photos of people without their consent to run through a database.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

5. Vombatus

Ragu,

All good points, but the police can act on anything that is out in plain sight. That includes what they see through the windows of your car, and your face.

What's awkward here is the snapping of a photo, making the detainee aware of it. But this could be done with body cameras, and with lesser resolution, dashboard cameras.

And, while recent complaints may revolve around the current policing narrative, a much bigger issue is using this kind of technology for antiterrorism. This is a huge tool and is not going away, and for the safety of the country, it shouldn't.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They can act on anything ILLEGAL that they see in plain sight. If they look into your car window and see a bag of coke on the passenger seat, yes, they can then search you and your car. They then have reasonable suspicion. But if they look in your car and don't see anything illegal, they can't rip you out of the car and search you just because they have a hunch or they don't like the way you look. That is why without reasonable suspicion that you were up to something illegal, to my mind, these photos are fishing expeditions that violate the spirt of the 4th amendment.

They didn't envision this kind of technology when they drafted the 4th amendment, but it was clearly put in place to protect us against overzealous policing-- police have to hurdle a high bar before harassing people. It's a great protection that really is the key to our freedom. To search you or your property, they need a warrant, which requires probable cause. Or if it is something happening in the moment, before they search you, they had better be able to make the case that they had reasonable suspicion -- backed with facts and circumstances -- that you were in the act of committing a crime or were going to commit one.

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I don't know if there are other cases with more comparable facts, but the U.S. Supreme Court found there was no 4th A. violation when a grand jury compelled the production of voice exemplars, stating:

"In Katz v. United States, supra, we said that the Fourth Amendment provides no protection for what "a person knowingly exposes to the public, even in his own home or office. . . ." 389 U.S. at 389 U. S. 351. The physical characteristics of a person's voice, its tone and manner, as opposed to the content of a specific conversation, are constantly exposed to the public. Like a man's facial characteristics, or handwriting, his voice is repeatedly produced for others to hear. No person can have a reasonable expectation that others will not know the sound of his voice, any more than he can reasonably expect that his face will be a mystery to the world."

U.S. v Dionisio, 410 U.S. 1 (1973)

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Ragu,

We may disagree about a lot of things, but your last two posts re spot-on.

Now, how about a take on the gas price-gouging underway in the Midwest because of another timely refinery problem? How convenient, at the same time crude prices are cratering!

9. qtlaw24

qtlaw24 Active Member

There's a big difference between taking a photo of someone in plain sight and stopping and detaining someone to put them through a facial recognition exam.

expendable, Ace and YankeeFan like this.
  10. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I completely agree with you about detentions and acknowledged in my post the facts weren't the perfect comparison. However, I think the facts in the case in which Katz was cited as support fall somewhere in between plain sight and detention. The appellant in the case wasn't recorded while he was out in public speaking where any and all could hear. He was required to provide an exemplar for use in a grand jury proceeding.

ETA: I'm not supporting a result that allows the police to use this technology just because and whenever. I'm not saying the Dinisio case allows it. If I were representing the police in a 4th A challenge, however, I would rely on this case and draw the parallels that exist. Are there any decisions involving police taking photos of individuals?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  11. Vombatus

Ragu,

Again, all great points and I generally agree with you from the perspective of everyday policing.

But, I come at this from a national security angle. The Founding Fathers also didn't envision a day when someone could take one suitcase nuke and obliterate an entire city. There are tools that have been developed and are in development now to help track people before they do such a thing.

And if ever such a thing were to happen, you can forget about freedom for awhile. Continuity Of Government plans would kick in, and who knows how long it would take for us to reach a "new" normal. Personally, I think our civil liberties took a hit after 9/11, and we are not back to where we were on 9/10/01. And we probably never will be. We live in a different world.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It would not be hard for the authorities to take your picture if you were out in public, run it through their software and try to catch terrorists.

Go for it.

But that's different than detaining someone and making them sit and wait on the curb while you power up your iPod, download the app, answer your email and play Words with Friends while waiting to see if John Doe is the dreaded Podunk Prowler.

That's bad police work.

Draft saved Draft deleted