1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why won't McCain release his military records?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He said recently he's struggling with it and occasionally sneaks a smoke.

I guess that means the tobacco lobby is in his back pocket. :D

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That's not what I said, Pope. Never said McCain has anything like a dishonorable in his background. Just that military service records aren't as easily available as one might think -- even for high-profile presidential candidates.

3. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

I'm just wondering, again, which part of the constitution gives McCain -- or anyone, for that matter -- the right to privacy.

Anyone refresh my memory?

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It's under the section where it says you can do whatever you want in your bedroom unless you're gay, then the government can peep through the keyhole to make sure you're not doing gay-like things.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'm sorry, but that is one of the stupidest claims I've seen from you in recent memory.

As voters, we have every right to decide whether or not we'd elect a president who stands a much higher percentage of dying in office.

6. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Classic.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Won't find much in his records, I assume. Traditionally, officers aren't punished non-judicially (conduct unbecoming of an officer, dereliction of duty, etc.). Only judicially for crimes recognized by a court, for example. If they do something for which they could receive harsh, non-judicial punishment, they're simply asked to leave or are not promoted until the time comes when they HAVE to leave. He retired as a captain. That's a colonel in any other branch (O-6), so his nose was clean, I'd be willing to bet. Brand recognition? Maybe. Doubtful, but maybe. You don't make captain 'cause of your daddy. You get in the Academy because of your daddy, not make 0-6.

And you don't make it that far with bad evaluations, either. It would, however, be nice to see what command experience he may have had, if any. I'm not sure about the career progression for naval aviators, but I don't think it's like the Army's system where a great deal of emphasis is placed on becoming a commander and actually "leading" troops (this statement makes no claims about his leadership ability, nor that of Naval officers).

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My guess is that he had a fucked-up psych test after he was released from being a POW for five years (who wouldn't) and that's what he doesn't want made public.

Draft saved Draft deleted