1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why won't McCain release his military records?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, Jun 17, 2008.

1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

After making a career out his military bona fides -- including having a surrogate lie to the New York Times recently that he was about to get promoted to admiral before retirement -- doesn't it stand to reason that McCain should release his military records, as John Kerry did?

Investigative reporter Jeffrey Klein wonders about the gaps in McCain's records and why he's never signed a Standard Form 180.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeffrey-klein/mccains-secret-questionab_b_107409.html

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

It is easier to not release the information and just keep saying, "prisoner of war" than it is to release them and have the questions come.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I'm thinking that this issue is not the wisest one on which to challenge him.

4. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

It was fair game for Kerry. It's fair game for McCain.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Anything is fair game. I just don't get the sense that this is a battle that the Obama campaign should fight. Even if he was the class fuckup at Annapolis, you still don't look good attacking the service of a guy who was a POW. That's like military Teflon.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Fixed. But the principle remains.

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

It's really not important to the race, to be honest. We know he served, we know he was a POW. It's not like he's Tim Johnson. Obama camp should just focus on his tenure in Senate, and hit on his comparisons with Bush. Plus, when you're in the Senate that long, you're bound to screw up publically (Keating Five), no matter who you are. That place is a cesspool.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

It should have been out of bounds on Kerry. However, there was that "great" group of frauds known as "Swift Boat Veterans."

There is a reason McCain hasn't released his records. That man is definitely running on his war record (more so than Kerry). Hell the ad below the reply box is a young McCain saluting.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

when Obama releases his Mooslim school records.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

There are so many issues on which Obama can beat McCain. I wouldn't roll the dice that his military service is one of them.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The new ad features a talking bear.
    Kind of odd.
    And I'd rather have his wife release income tax records first, before I'd press for McCain's military service records.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Why not? It worked for Bush in '04.

Draft saved Draft deleted