1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why we miss copy editors, part whatever

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 2, 2010.

1. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that was intended as the joke, as was the "all intensive purposes" line.

If it wasn't, then we can all scream, "Irony!"

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You sure it was irony?

3. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

One can never be sure of anything these days.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

USA Today founder Al Newhart. Good thing I didn't see that in a Gannett paper.

5. SportySpice

SportySpice Member

Bravo, lesboulez. Bravo.
    Perfectly played quote from Idiocracy, which -- sadly -- is becoming closer to real life all the time. Terrific movie, and an accurate commentary on too much of American society and what has become of too many copy desks.

6. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Recently caught something similar by my favorite beat writer of your favorite team. Can't find it online, but at some point he wrote that Willie Harris rounded third but "put on the breaks."

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Them's the brakes.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Except it has no bearing on what is actually happening in the world. Copy-editing standards may be lower, but in general, intelligence and education are on the rise.

People just like to bemoan how obviously everything is slipping because it's different than it was when they were growing up.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Same web site as my original post, different writer (and neither the main beat writer):

"I was trying to use their aggressiveness against them and kind of see the ground ball before it happens in your head," said Stammen, who is 3-2 with 4.42 ERA since his June 29 recall from Triple-A Syracuse, including outdueling the Phillies' Roy Halladay on Friday.

The problem there?
    It was Oswalt, not Halladay. A fairly big deal was made of it because it was Oswalt's debut with the Phillies.

Not enough eyeballs anymore and it is sad, sad, sad.

Draft saved Draft deleted