1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why this business frustrates me

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Thing is, you don't know how much work or BS that they have to do. You may have called the editor at the wrong time. If everyone has a pile of work to do, asking them to do another task, even if it is menial, seems like a lot to do.

2. apseloser

apseloser Member

Wow, that's so cool. Man, I wish I could work at a newspaper that big. Oh wait, no I don't, because you're just as screwed — if not more so — as the little fellas these days. Not something worth puffing your chest about anymore, schmoe blow.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

AP puts together rankings for football, and boys and girls basketball in Michigan.

Well, they just publish them actually. There's a panel of sportswriters from around the state that send in their votes.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I talked with some reporters about doing something like that, but no one was really interested. It's amazing there's so much indifference in a state with maybe 17 total high school writers.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They're probably already beaten down with a ton of work. What you are asking them for is extra work, with very little benefit to them, personally. I'll give you an example:

At one of my previous jobs, the local HS wanted to start a sports hall of fame for their athletes, with committees on who to select them, and research on their accomplishments, which would have consisted of looking up old articles at my paper, mostly on microfilm.

I went and covered the first couple of meetings they had to see what they were up to. They wanted me to help out with their work, and couldn't understand that not only was it a conflict of interest (my editor backed me up on that when the school's AD complained to him that I wasn't willing to volunteer), but that I didn't have the time, or frankly, the desire to help out.

I know there are some small-town sports writers who volunteer with that sort of thing. Good for them. Frankly, I felt that I was putting in enough hours, and wanted some free time.

Sure, it may sound like a good idea that you have. But sometimes, journalists have a lot on their plate.

6. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Well that's a nice post, loser. Only the thing is, where I am, we are a "little fella."
    There's probably at least well over a dozen papers in my state alone (Texas) that are bigger than mine.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Let's not fight - I'm having a good day.

After a year and a half of doing editor's work at reporter's pay, myself an my coworker got a .5 percent raise today.

What color is sarcasm font again?

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Up next: apseloser (who I think is in the wrong here) is going to write a smartass remark to joe and then the thread will head for lockdown.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Off topic: Mr. Schmoe, is that your woman in the avatar? If so, mad props.

10. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

I don't understand why attaching such a poll to one of the local tv stations makes it more or less legit. Then again, I don't understand why Rhode Island has 43 teams, and yet four state champions. Always seemed too watered down to me.

Just for comparison sake, and somebody from Texas please correct me if I am wrong, but in the 5A Division I state playoffs in Texas, there are 64 teams vying for one state title.

11. -Scoop-

-Scoop- Member

This is what I don't get either. Just giving people more reason to just watch TV instead of exclusively reading the paper to see who was ranked where.

12. What happened?

Draft saved Draft deleted