1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the writers are striking...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by imjustagirl2, Nov 9, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I know there's another thread, but I felt that one was more about the impact on shows as opposed to the writers.

Here is the original thread.

I know at least one of our board members is in on this strike, and I thought it was interesting to find the backstory.

explains in clear terms why they're fighting.

is a video from the Office writers about how they've been screwed and why they're picketing.

www.unitedhollywood.com has a petition you can sign, or did. I signed it last night and now it no longer shows up on my screen. Hopefully you can see it and sign if you want to.

Lots of stuff I learned about how much those writers are getting screwed after making concessions years ago. They get nothing for the millions of us that watch these shows on streaming internet sites, even nbc.com.

I'd ask that we try to support as well as we can.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

They watched an episode of CSI: Miami and came to the realization that they can't come up with good dialogue?

But yes, they are getting screwed in royalties.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I signed it.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Is it funny to anyone else that writers are using videos on YouTube to plea their case? No? OK ... carry on ...

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Is JDV crossing the picket line?

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

If you'd rather read than hit Youtube (firewalls, work-computer restrictions, etc.), this story is the best I've seen explaining the situation:
    Battlestar Galactica Producer Talks Strike

Couple of friends are walking the line outside Disney. Keep the faith, westcoastvol (and any other WGA members who might be here).

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Worthy cause. Thanks for alerting us to the petition IJAG.

8. KG

KG Active Member

Thanks for the petition link.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

Wondered if I was the only one to note the irony.

Draft saved Draft deleted