1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Why the rich don't give to charity"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You didn't read the original article, did you?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He said they have a selfishness that we associate with people who are assholes. That isn't controversial. I have no problem saying poor people have a great tendency to be irresponsible with what money they do have. Happy?

The numbers are what they are. Rich people do not donate as large a percentage as poor people do, and what they do donate goes not toward helping people but toward museums and private schools and other highbrow projects. This is not difficult to see in practice, as "charity" often means buying a $10,000 table to the social event of the season.

3. Must be tough to sit on that high horse. Do you think the rich have better attitudes towards others than others have of the rich?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't have anything against the rich. Some of my best friends are rich people.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"Democratic vice presidential candidate Joe Biden and his wife gave an average of $369 a year to charity during the past decade, his tax records show."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=5791846&page=1#.UUygK1eCfBg

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Less anger, bitterness and failure among the rich, so I'd say yes.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

As long as that's more than LTL, they're cool.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

There is plenty of failure among the rich, they just fail better.

You think bankruptcy courts and golden parachutes are for the poor?

9. LongTimeListener

It's not.

He should be giving a lot more.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

All I can think of right now is "Rich Dicks" from Kroll Show.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There are plenty of very nice rich people. I'm certainly not poor myself. I would just like rich conservatives who keep telling me that we can scale back social programs because charities will do a better job of taking care of the impoverished and disabled to shut the fuck up.

12. LongTimeListener

Not really. But it's an article of faith that the rich give so much, how can we ask them to give in taxes?

Turns out they don't give much at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.