1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Why the rich don't give to charity"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

No, but on the other hand, consider this more evidence to give lie to the whole trickle-down, job-creator myth. Rich people will act like anyone else with money -- use it to benefit themselves as much as possible.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

From the article:

“While having money doesn’t necessarily make anybody anything,” Piff later told New York magazine, “the rich are way more likely to prioritize their own self-interests above the interests of other people.” They are, he continued, “more likely to exhibit characteristics that we would stereotypically associate with, say, assholes.”

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Make of the "moral" component whatever you like.

But haven't we all been told the last thirty years that private philanthropy - that 'thousand points of light' - would make up for whatever social programs we gutted?

4. LongTimeListener

He is speaking from a wealth of personal research he has done on the topic.

5. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

So the "rich" worry about themselves or their families more than other people. How awful of them. They should strive to be more like the selfless, all-giving poor who have not the slightest interest in self-preservation.

So the argument is that the rich are concerned with themselves more than others? Those bastards!

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Colorful statements aside, Piff’s research on the giving habits of different social classes—while not directly refuting the asshole theory—suggests that other, more complex factors are at work. In a series of controlled experiments, lower-income people and people who identified themselves as being on a relatively low social rung were consistently more generous with limited goods than upper-class participants were. Notably, though, when both groups were exposed to a sympathy-eliciting video on child poverty, the compassion of the wealthier group began to rise, and the groups’ willingness to help others became almost identical."

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

People always talk about these mythical tax breaks for oil companies. ... What are the breaks oil companies receive that OTHER industries don't also receive? A domestic manufacturing tax deduction that all industries receive? Depreciation of assets that ALL industries receive? What exactly are the tax breaks oil companies receive, because I have spent a little time on this, and the reality never matches up with the rhetoric.

Name an oil company that operates in the U.S., and I can tell you what their effective tax rate was on income derived from the U.S. The company that paid the most U.S. taxes last year out of ALL copanies, was ExxonMobile. $27.3 billion. An effective U.S. tax rate of 42 percent of its U.S. income. On what planet is that a company being subsidized or given "tax breaks," as you said? The company that paid the second most U.S. taxes last year? Chevron. $17.4 billion. Third? ConocoPhillips. $10.6 billion. Political rhetoric has turned oil companies into subsidized companies. It's ludicrous.

If your point was simply, though, that we shouldn't have a swiss cheese tax code that is complicated beyond understanding, and exists to shift money from one entity to another because politicians want to subsidize certain beneficiaries, I am personally with you.

In that game, though, "solar-panel" companies are not the ones that are going to jump on board.

I am certain that ExxonMobile, however, which had the highest effective tax rate out of any company on its U.S.-derived income last year -- 42 percent --would be thrilled with a tax code that says: "no loopholes, no subidization of hand-picked industries" just "a simple tax code where you report your income derived from U.S. activity and pay taxes on it."

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I've never looked at these studies, but I know I've read that line enough over the years that I bought in and assumed it was true.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Another view on the question of ExxonMobil and taxes.

articles.washingtonpost.com/2011-05-11/business/35264658_1_federal-income-tax-rate-tax-benefits

"Exxon Mobil says it pays plenty — more in U.S. taxes than it earned in the United States last year.

Not so, say critics of the oil industry; the Center for American Progress says the oil giant’s effective federal income tax rate is about half the 35 percent standard for U.S. companies. The liberal-leaning think tank, citing Exxon Mobil’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, says the corporation didn’t pay any federal income tax in 2009.

It all depends on how you count."

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

In Trenton a few years ago I walked around looking for photos. Stumbled upon Wendy from South Trenton. Poorest of the poor. Asked to take her photo. She asked for 2 bucks. I gave her the 2 bucks, she let me take a picture. But on top of that she gave me a new bottle of hand sanitizer and a can of pears -- things she clearly could have used more than me. I've never been able to shake that moment. She was so selfless.

http://incrediblekulk.blogspot.com/2012/07/2-women-2-dollars.html

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Which is why we have gated communities.

12. LongTimeListener

And private schools.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.