1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Why the rich don't give to charity"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Goody, so I can tell the government they can't have the money I'd pay in taxes that would go to help businesses.

And you can give to what you wish, but the government doesn't have to reward it with a tax break.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You realize, don't you, that much of the conservative budget plan involves cutting back services to the poor and expecting private citizens to donate. Everyone is happy.

Except if people with the money hang onto it -- or commission a statue of themselves for the yacht club -- it puts the burden mostly on the blue-collar folk.

That's why conservatives can't say everyone can go fuck themselves about how people spend their own money. Their plans always assume some actual compassion from people with money.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think most of us would agree that your money is your money and nobody should have any say in telling you what you can and can't do with it -- whether you are Warren Buffett or the lowest-paid employee at Berkshire Hathaway.

So my question is, why has our tax code gotten so complicated with trying to incentivize people to do things that were given special tax status in the first place for politicized reasons? Most tax incentives don't seem to do a great job of incentivizing the things they were put in the code to encourage (this being an example), and even when they seemingly do, they inevitably create all kinds of skewed economic consequences that reward one group of people at the expense of another -- and create unlevel playing fields.

I wish we had a simplified tax code that got rid of all this BS, as much as I wish people would stop trying to manage other people's bank accounts.

It would have so many positive benefits that I think we all agree about.

1) Isn't it messed up when the typical person has to invest days time and effort to simply file a tax return to comply with the law, and we have a money-sucking accounting industry that diverts money from more potentially productive uses of that money, if it stayed in our pockets and we could decide what to do with it ourselves?

2) And if we had a straightforward tax code that didn't fill a room with reams of paper, wouldn't we have less complaining about who is getting preferential treatment? Just something straightforward, no "loopholes," and make it progressive in a way most people agree it should be. ...

3) If we just took out all of the loopholes, and had a simple, straightforward progressive taxation system, couldn't we then devote the resources we devote to taxation to things that could actually drive revenue to the government that we would probably all agree make sense? For example, there is a huge cash economy that doesn't pay taxes, and there is no enforcement of trying to bring those people into compliance, even as everyone sits around arguing about how much the people who actually do pay taxes should be paying and what incentives the tax code should be giving them.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I like it, Ragu.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Again. 1.3%?

I don't much care where or to whom or to what the "rich" give.

But 1.3% - deduction or no deduction - is heartbreaking.

From the link:

'One of the most surprising, and perhaps confounding, facts of charity in America is that the people who can least afford to give are the ones who donate the greatest percentage of their income. In 2011, the wealthiest Americans—those with earnings in the top 20 percent—contributed on average 1.3 percent of their income to charity. By comparison, Americans at the base of the income pyramid—those in the bottom 20 percent—donated 3.2 percent of their income.'

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I believe a person making $1 million would be quite taken with his superior morality in giving $13,000 to charity while wondering why the slackers who make $25,000 are only giving $800.

That's essentially the argument when it comes to taxes, anyway.

7. poindexter

This is a wild-ass guess of mine, but I am going to throw out the theory that many rich people see what they pay in taxes (dollars, not percentages) in comparison to the rest of the country, and say, "You want charity? There's your fucking charity".

The numbers surprised me from this story, but Azreal, there is something kinda unseemly to me about you and others moralizing about what other people should do with their money.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I presume that unseemliness would extend, too, to how poor people spend their welfare checks or part-time wages.

9. poindexter

Actually, no - and I am not going to get into a Texas Deathmatch over this dreary topic.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Here's the thing -- the issue is not how the rich spend their money. It's how our tax system rewards the rich for how they spend their money, and whether the system is really driving the behavior as intended, or rewarding the right things. It seems like it's fair game to ask any time public money or tax breaks are used, for any purpose, whether it's really working out, no matter what the income level of the recipients, no matter whether we're talking about tax breaks for oil companies or solar-panel makers.

11. poindexter

I'm with you.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The tax code sure seemed to go a good job making wonderful philanthropists out of a gaggle of robber barons in the early part of the last century.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.