1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Why the rich don't give to charity"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You should take the tax it one way or the other. But not both ways. Again, this is just me. I would happily agree to tax a capital gain or dividends as income if the idea is to REALLY want to simplify the world -- and to tax income equitably in a straightforward way. But simplifying the income tax code would mean that income just gets taxed once. Don't tell me we are going to tax business income as the money is made, and then tell me that you are going to tax it all over again when the owner of that business cashes out what they own or benefits from appreciation in their business.

Pick one or the other, and I'd be reluctantly be on board. Get rid of the idea that you are going to tax businesses as a separate entity from the PEOPLE who own those businesses and really do simplify thing. Take it at the personal level, and sure, you can certainly call business appreciation or a dividend income and then tax it.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It'd be nice to keep this discussion going. So let's please do what we can to keep it from becoming political. Thanks.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'll also note an interesting dissonance.

Lots of folks on this thread object to judging the rich. But it's always OK to judge the poor.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sorry but Obama made the entire discussion political when he ran a campaign based on class warfare, Impossible to have a complete discussion on said topic and leave out the politics.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

All national politicians run all national campaigns on the fictions of "class warfare."

Doesn't change the rules of this message board.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Too late. You can carry on in the political thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.