1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the love for Romenesko?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by doodah, Feb 10, 2012.

1. doodah

doodah Guest

He got fired from Poynter and is a so-called "disgraced journalist" but it seems many people here love him.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Because he writes his gamers chronologically. Same with his sidebar/features.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm one of 'em doodah, but engaging you further with reasons is a thing I'd rather not get sucked into.

4. doodah

doodah Guest

No, please tell me. I want to know why so many people like this dude.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

We like him better than we like you.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Have you read his blog on a daily basis?

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I don't have time right now, but I do feel you have misrepresented his departure from Poynter. I'll try to follow up a bit later.

8. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

I've got some time, so I'll jump on the grenade.

He was not fired; after the ginned-up controversy that the Poynter Institute created, he resigned a few weeks ahead of a previously announced plan to leave. He's not a "disgraced journalist"; most industry observers believe Poynter created a much-ado-about-nothing reason in an effort to damage his reputation when it learned he would be starting his own (competing) media blog after his pending departure. And people like him because he knows what the hell is going on in the media business.

9. doodah

doodah Guest

What did Poynter create?

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Hand wringing.

11. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Sigh. There's a cool new research tool -- it's called Google -- that can offer you as much background as you need to understand the reasons and perspectives behind his controversial departure.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

He won't go to Google. That's not his style. It cuts into nap time.

Draft saved Draft deleted