1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHY THE HELL!?!?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SuperflySnuka, Feb 22, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Which is probably one reason why I hold Rome in such disdain.

2. SixToedMonroe

SixToedMonroe Member

Equating the Civil Rights Movement to the Gay Rights Movement really makes no sense and is insulting to many in the black community. Whether you believe it to be a choice or not - one is defined by actions and the other by mere physical appearance.

I am likely in the same camp as Hardaway - it just frustrates me that he has become a defacto spokesperson for the viewpoint. The only good thing is that he didn't immediately cop to being an alcoholic and check into rehab like other stars do when they say something that doesn't jive with the national politically correct movement.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

There was one writer last season who kept calling the Sixers "A.I. and the gang"

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Scoop Jackson can call anybody whatever he wants, in his column.

Superfly, my guess is the POINT is to not do what everybody else does. And love or hate Snoop, for his style, that makes absolutely perfect sense to me.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Did you read the Hardaway interview? Being surprised that gay people work hard and help out in the community is precisely akin to a white person in 1960s who's stunned over the relative "decency" of a black person. Does sexual orientation have a connection to one's work ethic or charitable inclinations? It's absurd. Crossing the street to avoid gay people? What are they, lepers?

I'm a Christian. I think it's a sin. But I'm also not a moronic child like Hardaway, skittering across the street to avoid the touch of gay.

A question Scoop should have asked Hardaway: Has he ever watched a certain kind of video with two women doing certain kinds of things? Spent the night with two women at once? I wonder.

6. Jim Murray

Jim Murray New Member

Everyone used to call him Timmy in his Golden State days. Even in his Heat days, he was commonly referred to as Timmy.

7. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Yeah, I think I've heard Marv Albert call him Timmy.....

8. Within the history of anti-discrimination statutes and their application -- up to and including those based on the equal-protection and due-process mandates of the Constitution -- the difference really is negligable.
    And this is a real reach on the Scoop-bashing.

9. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

not entirely different. blacks were unequal under the law. gays remain unequal under the law.

blacks ought to relate to that.

same reason jews were sympathetic to the civil rights movement.

10. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

I personally don't think being gay is a sin, nor do I think people choose it, but if you are talking to someone who is black (say, like Tim Hardaway), who does believe homosexuality is a sin or a choice, then it would definitely be unfair and insulting to compare it to being black.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Aren't you presuming one kind of hate is more intrinsic than another?

During the Holocaust, Nazis rounded up all kinds. Including gays, mentally unstable person, gypsies and converted Jews. Should mourning them offend Jews-by-birthright?

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yup, and then assholes like Louis Farrakhan forgot about all that and turned on Jewish people. I've posted this elsewhere, but it bugs the hell out of me when members of different minorities turn on each other.

I will never forget back in my college days when a black, female classmate told me being Jewish didn't count as being a minority because I can hide it and she can't hide her color.

I was just to frustrated by her attitude to argue. But I should have asked her if she'd ever been cornered and assaulted by her sixth-grade classmates for being black the way I was once for being Jewish.

I went to a private school at that time and each grade was separated into two classes, one for the better students and one for the ones they didn't give a damn about. Despite my academic achievements before, during and after my time there, I was always in with the "bad kids," along with every other minority of any kind in the school.

This is how I learned not to be a bigot. This is how I learned to accept people no matter the color of the skin, the name of their god or gods or which part of the population they find themselves attracted to.

How anybody who has ever been the victim of bigotry or racism can turn around and do the same to others is a disturbing mystery to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted