1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHY THE HELL!?!?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SuperflySnuka, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Can't Scoop Jackson just call someone by what everyone calls them.
    Black Mamba instead of Kobe. K-Gar instead of Kevin Garnett. TIMMY HARDAWAY INSTEAD OF TIM?!?!?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/070222&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

This annoys me more than you can know...

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, since he is the best writer in the history of the world, I guess he can do whatever he wants.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

This may be the biggest week of SCOOPS in sj history.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Black Mamba?

reason being?

5. Didn't Kobe call himself that last season? Or was it just Mamba?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Again... reason being?

7. Why did he call himself that? Hold on ...

From a Bill Simmons column, circa 2005:

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Snake is a perfect way to describe him...

9. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

[​IMG]

EDIT: That's one hell of a photo.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Jim Rome has been doing that crap for years.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Based on the answers in this interview, Hardaway has to be one of the biggest morons on the planet. Either he's really this ignorant, or even more so for saying things like this:

"Learning that gay people are really no different than a lot of other people. Learning that they work hard, they do things in the community, they are responsible for building parks, rec centers, providing safe environments for kids, just things I had never associated with them before."

Huh?

I mean, is this really what people from lower-class backgrounds think of gays? <i> Fuck, they work? They help in the community? </i> This interview is fascinating for that insight. Notice the language here:

"We didn't want to be around that and they definitely didn't want us kids around it. And it's not that they hated gay people, they just felt they it wasn't right."

Wrongo! The American working class - I'd know, I came from it - loves to soft-sell their prejudice and fear in just those terms. I can close my eyes and hear the same words from my mother's mouth about a black kid who lived down the street. There's a terrific documentary, years old, about integrating a church in the Midwest. White person after white person said these same words - I don't have a problem with black people, I-just-can't-be-around-them - some with tears in their eyes. To see this documentary - they really felt it. The idea of integration was physically painful.

Hardaway's the same guy. What an ass. Worrying about somebody burning his house down. Who? The gay mafia? Andrew Cunanan?

It's the language of "staying with our own kind," and, clearly, it's still a dirty little secret of poverty.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I was thinking slimy, creepy and sliding into holes he has no business hiding...

Draft saved Draft deleted