1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHY THE HELL HASN'T MIKE RICE BEEN FIRED YET?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

He gone.

http://www.northjersey.com/

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

If you look at the ESPN video of him closely you can rule out the "he's a fiery competitor" nonsense. There's psycho in those eyes.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The AD needs to follow him out the door.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Just a quick side jack:

The university officially announced the termination over Twitter just after 10 a.m.

A friend and I go nuts over this regularly. Is there a more unnecessary word out there than "officially?" Not knocking this report as pretty much everyone does it. Officially.
    Pet peeve rant over, carry on.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That was my first thought, too. The guy is nuts. I hope he gets some mental health assistance.

That happens above the AD's paygrade.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I would agree with you ("officially" often means "finally" in this use, but reporters are scared to use a stronger word), but I am too concerned about this giant hoax that already has cost one man his job.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

OK, enough with that please. You made your point earlier. Officially made it.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Agreed.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'm coming back to this post.

A tip line is something major companies often have. These athletic departments aren't mom-and-pop shops, these are multimillion dollar businesses working under the cloak of educational institutions. Any responsible CEO would spend the $30,000 or whatever a year to set this up. Especially after what happened with Penn State, this should be a no-brainer.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

AD: "I will work to regain the trust of the Rutgers community" -- yes, from the unemployment line and when deposed in court as the inevitable civil cases follow.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Rutgers fires Mike Rice

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/04/03/176107396/fired-could-be-next-f-word-for-rutgers-coach-seen-berating-players?ft=1&f=1001&sc=tw&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=20130403

I wonder when all the appologists will come out, if there are any former players who will defend him and say how he made them into men or some crap like that.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I wish the statement would just say "we are very sorry this tape made it out to the public" because that's obviously the only thing they're sorry about.

Draft saved Draft deleted