1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHY THE HELL HASN'T MIKE RICE BEEN FIRED YET?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Apr 2, 2013.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I bet a Star-Ledger reporter could pull a quarter out of my ear.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The one thing I would say is this and it should be noted ----

The Rutgers AD had seen these tapes way back in December, the coach was fined and suspended already - so what is new here?

3. zagoshe

And I find it ridiculous that some people are more concerned that he used the word "faggot" than the fact that he hit kids, pushed kids and whipped basketballs at them.

Again - when we are more concerned with words - no matter how mean -- than outright violence, there is a problem.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

What people?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The people on the other side of zag's brain.

6. zagoshe

Why don't you read some shit instead of always trying to be the smart ass dickhead.

The fucking AD of the school said the use of "that word" --- meaning faggot -- was at the heart of the suspension.

And the reason is that he knew the blowback from the gay crowd and the politically correct whiners would be enormous once this video got out.

So once again - meanie words are worse than actual violence.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The AD, for one:

8. zagoshe

And I'll take it further - I'd be willing to be a boat load of money Mike Rice would not be under the kind of fire he is under - let's face it he is getting fired tomorrow -- if he had used the words "pussy" and "fucking wuss" instead of "fairy" and "faggot" - even if he was still on tape whipping balls at kids

9. zagoshe

It is a word. A mean-spirited word. A word people shouldn't use. But it is a word and at the end of the day nobody can get physically hurt by a word. - unlike getting kicked, pushed, hit and having a basketball fired at your head.

We used to be a "sticks and stones may break my bones" society but then somehow we let the pinheads take over and now we have become a nation of wussies

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Any grown man who fired a basketball full power at another person's head from 5-10 feet away in public in view of a police officer would immediately be booked for aggravated assault.

I'd be a little worried about that if I were the AD.

Or the assistant coach handing him the balls. Can you say "accessory?"

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ahhhh, for the lovely days when we used to be able to call ni###ers and fa##ots ni###ers and fa##ots without fear of reprisal.

Those were the days. Boy, the way Glenn Miller played...

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm just surprised a lawyer and or HR person presumably signed off on the initial punishment.

Draft saved Draft deleted