1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHY THE HELL HASN'T MIKE RICE BEEN FIRED YET?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Apr 2, 2013.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

Rutgers basketball coach's abusive tactics is documented by videotape. lame a.d. says three-game suspension was all that was called for for 'first-time offense.' FIRST-TIME OFFENSE!! guess now i'll have my defense after i commit my first murder...

cripes. how do parents of players NOT demand he be fired now? a.d. should go, too, imo.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/index.ssf/2013/04/mike_rice_used_gay_slur_toward.html#incart_river

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wow. They get rid of the guy who tells them about this stuff and keep the guy who did it.

This will not end well.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

On a positive note, the fallout from this will open up a lot of athletic department positions at Rutgers for anyone interested in getting into college athletics.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, it's not like any of the players committed suicide over the slurs, right?

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They can't fire him because of his terrific on-court success.

::) ::)

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He served a 3-game suspension (I believe) for this, earlier in the winter. Amazing how everybody's jumping on this, now. A lot of people haven't been paying attention . . .

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Typical big corporation mindset. I hope Murdock takes them to the cleaners.

8. Starman

Well, the explanation for the suspension was pretty nebulous. A 3-game suspension could be one of those nickel-and-dime self-imposed penalties for minor shit like too many summer practices, etc etc.

Seeing it live on tape ups the outrage factor.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't know whst I would have done if I had a coach like that, but I can't imagine any response other than laughing or throwing the ball right back at his head. Maybe that's why I wasn't a great athlete, I don't know.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Are you really gullible enough to believe that?

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm always surprised about the lack of oversight in college athletic departments. You would think every school and the NCAA would have an anonymous tip line for people within the program to let higher ups know that hinky stuff is going on.
    Instead everyone gets sucked into a bunker mentality, people keep stuff like this as "insurance" in case something comes down.

12. Starman

Well, not if you like being on scholarship.

Draft saved Draft deleted