1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the Ben Rhodes profile in the New York Times Magazine is just gross.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, May 7, 2016.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Don't mistake the flack selling the policy for the persons making it. It suited the author's goals to make Rhodes seem really important. There's enough error in the piece to make me suspect that was its biggest error of all.

2. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Possibly, but I've not seen much denial from the foreign policy types in The White House.
    Many seem to want to vilify the writer. I think he deserves a lot of credit for the original idea
    to do a story on Rhodes and then actually doing one that has generated a lot of discussion.
    Unless made up there is some really quality detail and not the typical bland stories on policy wonks.

3. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

I really don't get him either but he did paint a hell of a scene for the 1951 Giants / Dodgers NLCS
    with Jackie Gleason and Frank Sinatra.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

That section of Underworld should have been a standalone novella. His work is really hit or miss. His football novel, The End Zone, was a miss and I abandoned it halfway through

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

There may be errors in the story, or there may be scenes left to interpretation...but it's hard to argue with Rhodes' belief that the Washington political reporter class is young and stupid; you'd have to have lived under a rock the past year to not agree with him.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

They don't know anything, and because they're liberal and idealistic, they tend to not be skeptical of information given to them by the Obama administration.

They're not much different than SEC fanboi websites.

Just being on Ben Rhodes blast email list validates them.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Giv'em a chance to spring to Obama and they would?

8. YankeeFan

9. Songbird

Digital Piñata is a #greatbandname

10. YankeeFan

Turns out, he's not a NEOCON. He's just a liberal dem, who supports the Iran deal, with reservations.

11. Songbird

If it's good (with reservations) for Leon ...

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. YankeeFan

Samuels is a JEW!!

Of course he's a pro-Israel NEOCON, who wants to preventively bomb Iran.

Draft saved Draft deleted