1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the Beatles "Rock Band" hype is worthwhile

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Twoback, Sep 8, 2009.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

If a friend has it, I'll play it, too. But it's one of those games I'd get bored with pretty quickly.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Games are a matter of taste. I enjoy the various Guitar Hero games, especially Metallica. They're not everyone's cup of tea, but they great party games because everyone enjoys music, and four at a time can play these games: Drums, Two guitars, singer. Have had a couple of great marathons playing the game with a group of friends.

There is a lot of money to be made for the bands. Check the list of individual bands' top iTunes downloads. More often than not, a song's appearance on a video game will put its downloads through the roof. Like when "Don't Stop Believin'" was on the Sopranos.

With CD sales way down, and radio an utter wasteland (classic rock stations' motto should be "If you have heard it a million times, you'll hear it here!"), bands need these new ways to get their music out there. Young people these days discover bands through Guitar Hero that they may not have otherwise. And they seek out the CDs and iTunes downloads.

Some feel that Led Zeppelin's line about "protecting the integrity of the master tapes" by refusing to allow games to use their songs is actually code for "Ante up, video game companies."

The money's there.

3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Led Zeppelin could make a great deal more money if they so desired. That may change in the future. Who knows, things change.

Some have posted on here in the past that Page is desperate for money and is in dire financial straights. I have yet to see any evidence of that.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Had to be sarcasm, posted in the wake of the many re-releases of the catalog.

Page can't be hurting. He will be later because of selling his soul to the devil, of course.

5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

It wasn't sarcasm, trust me.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

That's pretty much me too.

I did get one of the Guitar Hero games (the third one I think) when it was on sale at Best Buy. Think I paid less than $30.

Anyway, when I did play it, I did get bored with it after 3-4 songs. And there's no way in hell I can play it above the easiest level.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I own a bunch of the Guitar Hero games. I went through a phase where I'd basically play them all summer. I mean, they ARE fun as hell.

I just haven't really had time to play much since my daughter was born last summer.

8. Piotr Rasputin

As for the money question (Does Page need it, do these games make it):

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/jimmy-page-says-no-to-guitar-hero-163618

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Singing in Rock Band is pretty fun, but the instrumenting kills the fingers.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Deja vu, etc., ...

I'm waiting for Rock Band Unplugged. Starring a bunch of artists who want to cash in again on the new Unplugged wave. Step right up, Eric Clapton!

Comes complete with brown acoustic guitar controller, wireless so it's authentic. It also comes with a cup of electronic coffee for the extra douche effect. And if you hit button A, it will even quote long, breathless diatribe on how you think pre-electric Dylan is the best so your friends are impressed.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Doesn't this belong on the Melrose Place thread?

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted