1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the awe over Posnanski?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by goalmouth, May 11, 2010.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Which still makes that book more valuable than your last 10 dozen posts.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

In context, though, he was defending the BCS against the constant, ridiculous whining about the 'need' for a college football playoff.

3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

SI can keep throwing assignments at Posnanski...I enjoy most of his stuff.

4. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Pos is definitely talented, but not the sportswriting god many here make him out to be. I'll agree with that.

But he's certainly no scrub, and many of his pieces are very well done.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bet we'll see that on the jacket of his next book.

For the record, I think it's in really poor taste to bash someone like this. If you don't like a column, a blog post, the way a writer steals the last chocolate donut in the press box, fine. Spill it.

But generic bashing is bad form.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think Pos is brilliant, but part of the reason he gets so much love is because he is a great, great guy...

It's funny, for years I thought Pos was WAY under the radar because he wasn't on ESPN and every other show that Whitlock was doing.

I think he and Plaschke are the best of the "feel good columnists" I'm not saying that's all they do, but they write more positive stories than so many others, for better or worse.

7. PaulS

PaulS Member

I don't see how anybody could read Posnanski consistently and not come to the conclusion he is one of the best (to me, the best) columnists/sportswriters going. But that's just me. He can take almost any subject and make it interesting. He tells great stories. He reports. He can be funny. He can be serious. Unlike some, when he says it, you feel he believes it and he's not just firing people because that's the thing to do.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Hey. An anonymous poster on a message board without a supporting argument was unimpressed with him. Un. Impress. Ed. Nuff said.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think what I like so much about Pos is how passionate he is about what he does and how hard he works to express those thoughts. Reading his story about Tony Pena's journey to become the Royals manager should be required for anyone who cares about the craft. It has perhaps my favorite kicker ever in a newspaper profile.

Pos has shown that blogging can be an art if done right.

I think anytime someone gets a ton of praise on SJ it becomes an echo chamber and it builds resentment. Which is too bad. I don't love ever Pos story. His Pulols piece for SI, I thought, was just too fawning for the PED era. But he CARES about words, whether he's writing a 200 word blog post or a 4,000-word profile. For that I'm grateful.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There isn't a writer out there who I like everything they do. Simers and Bianchi probably come the closest for very different reasons.

I would actually argue that Pos gets less love nationally than many columnists who are nowhere close to as talented as he is, because he's not on ATH or any of the ESPN shows.

Draft saved Draft deleted