1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the awe over Posnanski?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by goalmouth, May 11, 2010.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I won't be baited into that. Just remarking on how unremarkable that piece was.

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I've always liked his style. I find his writing to be funny, witty and touching. The column he did back in 02, 03, or thereabouts about the lunacy of the St. Louis baseball fan remains one of my favorites.

I'm glad he wrote (and still continues to write about) the teams I care about. His column was always a must-read... a trait that was only strengthened by appearing next to Whitlock for so long.

3. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

But you'll categorize his entire body of work based on one piece?

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Anyone who can write about the Kansas City Royals for decades and make it indispensable reading is a god amongst men in my eyes. He has what I consider to be the best blog in the industry.

To echo what someone else said, he is to me the opposite of what I dislike about so many columnists. Posnanski doesn't yell or preen. He instructs, he writes, he reports, he cajoles, he laughs with his reader, but he rarely yells, moralizes or evangelizes. He's cynical in all the right ways and hardly ever in the wrong ways.

His longform is packed with information in easily digested form. I don't think he's the best sportswriter in America style-wise, but he's good enough and he makes up for it in countless other ways.

The man made me care about what Brian Bannister and Zack Greinke do, hundreds of miles from KC. I think that's a testament to how well he can write about baseball.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

His love for and breadth of knowledge about his subject permeates everything he writes. Like Boswell, or even Will, he doesn't have to spell out that enthusiasm. As weak writers will often try to do. You can sense it.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Whatever. Goalmouth didn't like one of his pieces. That's condemnation enough for me.

7. mb

mb Active Member

YES! My annual chance to trot this classic out.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/1235048/

And I'd link it, but it's been a few years since it was live online.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Please. The takeover of the sport by the eggheads remains one of the worst seminal moments in baseball history. I'd sooner use "Men at Work" as a doorstop.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Men at Work is a superb book.

Saying that as someone who would like to see Will given the Humpty Dumpty treatment.

Sure, there are eggheads out the ass. His writing has soul. Theirs often does not. There's a distinction to be made.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, mb. Been too long since I'd read that.

I wish St. Louis was still on a decades-long title drought.

11. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I should add that I liked the piece I linked before in part because I have an unnatural obsession with Vegas.

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

MB, thanks.

You're man, the.

Draft saved Draft deleted