1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the awe over Posnanski?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by goalmouth, May 11, 2010.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I wasn't an admirer until I read his Buck O'Neil book, which I found inexpressibly moving.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I like Posnanski because he manages to meld statistics into conversational writing. He's not over your head, but he's not just randomly pontificating. His blog is better than almost anything he gets paid to write.

4. ringer

ringer Active Member

Because he knows how to research and report the hell out of a story and makes excellent use of details to tell it in a compelling straightforward way?

The blog link lacked flair though, you're right, but I don't think any writer ever puts his/her best efforts into blog items.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I think some people see him as the antidote to all the cynicism in sportswriting, the anti-Simers.

He lost me when he did contortions to find excuses for Willie Mays' consistently miserable behavior by saying it's tough to always be the center of attention. Here's a hint: If you don't like being the center of attention, pass up the $100K autograph shows.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He has the knowledge of a seamhead but doesn't write like a seamhead.

He's definitely at his best when he's writing about baseball.

7. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

This is my favorite (well, one of my favorites)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1149837/index.htm

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link, but I remain unimpressed. They must be less demanding in KC.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So, Goalmouth, which columnists are worthy of your love?

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Lost me when he defended the BCS- a program headed up by a friend of his which to his credit was forthcoming about

11. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

To me, he's the best baseball writer there is. But that's my opinion.

12. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Agreed.

Draft saved Draft deleted