1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why smoking is bad for you...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Jan 12, 2009.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

My grandpa smoked for many years. He had a really bad heart attack, and died during a risky quadruple bypass in '98.

Almost everyone in my family smokes. It sucks.

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

... who has to be the early leader in the clubhouse for this year's Darwin Awards. Again, apologies for the 'jack.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm as responsible for it as you are, but I'll take any opportunity to rail against smoking. While I understand that the intent of this thread was tho single out this particular person as a moron, the damaging effects of smoking are something that hits very close to home for some of us.

Despite all the warnings and all of the proof of how bad smoking is, there are still far too many good, smart people doing that one very dumb thing.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

While I agree with your anti-smoking stance, I didn't exactly expect this thread to be a bully pulpit... was more along the Darwin Award nominees

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You are correct there. No doubt about it. I normally hate making fun of such a situation, but it is hard to find much sympathy for a man doing something that stupid.

My point was this was just an extreme example of the bad decision-making involved in the use of tobacco products.

Draft saved Draft deleted