1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why smoking is bad for you...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Jan 12, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Two. Amy Winehouse smokes. And occasionally cigarettes

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Slappy, you pulled me right to the edge with that one. Fortunately, I was able to back away.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I was never curious about smoking because my parents had "The Talk" with me.

Oh, and by "The Talk" I mean I would routinely see them at the kitchen table coughing their skulls off.

Anyone who starts smoking now after knowing what it will do to them deserves to pay for it later.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Nothing new there for Zag, I Digress. Sorry about your father. Smoking got mine, too, though it was lung cancer in his case.

5. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

David Sedaris has a long section in his latest book ("When You Are Engulfed in Flames") about the reasons why he started and stopped smoking. Pretty enlightening and entertaining.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Look...this man clearly knew the risks he was taking but if he's been smoking most of his life, at his age...probably impossible to quit.

I am ashamed to admit that I bought my beloved grandfather the last pack of cigarettes he lived to smoke. I feel terrible at times, but then I remember that my grandfather liked to smoke. He genuinely liked it, like he liked coffee and Louis L'amour novels and woodworking. He absolutely knew the dangers but, by such a late point in his life, it seemed pointless to try and quit one of the things he's always liked.

He died from smoking. Plain and simple. But knowing it was the last time I was ever going to see him, I wanted to give my grandfather something he asked for. And three days later, after I'd driven from home in Houston to my base in Connecticut, he was gone.

I quit smoking for more than five years not long after that, started again, quit again for five years, then started smoking off and on since the divorce three years ago. I don't like it and I want to quit it, and that's why I bought the patch. I can't afford the freaking pills or I'd use them.

Uhm...OK. I guess I'm done now.

7. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Thanks. Right back at you. For me, many moons have passed since...

8. outofplace

Same here, but every single time this topic comes up, I think of him. I was always on people about smoking, long before my father got sick. The day he died was the day I stopped being nice about it.

9. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

No guilt allowed for this one, Alley. My other aunt (sister-in-law to the one who just died) lost both parents to lung cancer. As her mother neared the end, she was in a similar situation. At that point, does the minuscule amount of damage from one more pack really make a difference?
    And good luck with your own battle.

p.s. to slappy: I didn't mean to make it sound like I was bitching at you for starting this thread; apologies if that's how it was received. I'm just a little ... touchy ... about this right now.

10. outofplace

pseudo, given what you lost, I think we can all understand that.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

This had more to do with the idiot stupid enough to smoke with the oxygen mask on...

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It's outstanding.

Draft saved Draft deleted