1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why smoking is bad for you...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Jan 12, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Man on oxygen dies after lighting a cigarette
    Posted by Carol Robinson -- Birmingham News January 12, 2009 3:05 PM

A Birmingham man died today after he lit a cigarette while wearing his oxygen mask and tank.

Danny Glenn McLemore, 55, of Second Court North, was pronounced dead at 10:58 a.m. on the front steps of his apartment. Authorities said it appears he ran outside when he started to feel the pain from the burning and collapsed.

An acquaintance told police McLemore had twice done this before. Both times, the acquaintance was able to pull off the oxygen mask before McLemore was seriously injured.

Investigators said the tubing and mask removed from McLemore were burned.

Authorities said unfortunately it's fairly common.

"We've had houses catch on fire or blow up because of that," said Birmingham Fire and Rescue Battalion Chief C.W. Mardis. "It's strictly a no-no, but a lot of people just don't heed the rules.

"They think it won't happen, but unfortunately this is a perfect example that it can and will happen."
  2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Because JR and the rest of the SportsJournalists.com liberal mafia hate it -- and mostly because the tobacco industry gives more money to conservative politicians than liberals?
  3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Is this all you ever have to offer?
  6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Let's see. I want to use this product. The first time I use it, I will most likely have a coughing fit and it will taste terrible. If I do it long enough, it will continue to taste terrible, but I will convince myself otherwise because the product contains an indcredibly addictive drug, so the pleasure I feel when I use it is really just a fix of a craving I could have avoided by never starting with the product in the first place.

As I continue to use this product, it will damage my lungs and possibly my heart and arteries and put me at a higher risk for many different types of cancer. There is a very good chance it will shorten my life significantly, yet I'm spending a significant amount of money to keep using it.

Think of it that way and you will be less surprised by the story slappy posted above.
  7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You've waited a long time to do one of those, haven't you?
  8. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I blame the oxygen.
  9. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

People always make rational decisions. [/Ragu/crossthread]
  11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No idea what you are referencing there. I must have missed that thread.
  12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The story is confusing. Did he set himself on fire?

He ran outside when he started to feel pain from the burning? What the hell kind of wording of is that?

"The contusions, blood loss and and tissue damage from 28 machine gun bullets caused Clyde Barrow to slump over and bleed to death. The rounds also put several holes in his overcoat and car and, incidentally, fatally injured his companion, Bonnie Parker."
Draft saved Draft deleted