1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Scoop's Vegas Column TRUMPS Whitlock's

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sportsbruh, Feb 21, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ace, why do you hate whitepages so much? What did they ever do to you?

2. vin1284

vin1284 New Member

Some of you are trippin. Jason's column was way over the top. I've been to All-Star weekend and what Scoop said was basically what goes on during the weekend. Wilbon called it "Black Thanksgiving" but people of other races go there to have a good time. Not the crips and bloods. jason sounds like a colored Rush Limbaugh and trie too hard to degrade his own people to get his anger across on paper. Scoop said what really goes on during All-Star and what the hell happens that Jason wrote doesn't happen on an everyday Vegas weekend, and moving it to Europe to get it away from black people, who made it famous.

Call me bojanglin, I say Scoop wins

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Well said.

I wonder if Scoop will ever address the violence that permeated the weekend and ruined it?

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Now you see why Black America has a serious internal problem. Most blacks don't act like ballers and thugs toting fucking guns and shooting when they feel like it. It's the fucking culture that Whitlock, Cosby, and many others like me have a problem with, not the All-Star Game per se. I don't care about defending Scoop. Scoop only gave the "sanitized" version of the All-Star Game.

Did he ever look outside to see what was going on? Name dropping is okay, but for Pete's sake, if anyone thought that Vegas was normal with the festivities there, they are fooling themselves.

This isn't over who won the column war. Black America has denied this culture problem for far too damn long and it needs to be addressed.

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

That "column" was beyond awful.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I don't get it. Sportsbruh feels the Scoop column was better because it was about VIP treatment as opposed to Whit's column about the problems associated with the weekend. And Bruh thinks readers care more about a VIP line than crime and shootings?

Hmm...that's what I thought. It's important only to him. The "rep" is more important than the substance.

7. Isn't this 'blog' a little hypocritical? The argument is that Whitlock should not be saying ANYTHING that is negative towards the African-American culture... That's ridiculous.
    It's funny, because when opposition to people like Cosby or Whitlock (in this column) are attempting to sweep the blatant culture problems under the rug, they claim it is just people attacking the black culture.
    When some white congressman gets in trouble, do you see white person on ANY blog say: Oh, he's not that bad. It wasn't that big of a deal." Never.
    If it looks like a duck ... when people are slamming strippers heads into the ground and shooting up nightclubs, there is an issue. period. Don't punish people - no matter what race - for pointing that out.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I really do hope Sportsbruh and Scoop are one person. Then it's just one idiot instead of two.

Readers don't care what type of access either writer had. They care what Whitlock and Scoop did with the access they had. And at the risk of feeding Whitlock's already bloated ego, he did a hell of a lot more. Save the namedropping for the lifestyles page or Entertainment Tonight. It doesn't make for a good sports column.

9. Terd Ferguson

Terd Ferguson Member

Ugh. Just the final graf alone is vomit-inducing.
    Be a professional, dude. All the stret cred you try to build up with the name-dropping is completely negated because of the felatio you perform on these guys at the end.
    Act like you've been there before.
    You are most certainly not "the ish". ::)

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Sluuuuuuurrrrrp.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You be bojanglin, homes.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Just wait until New Orleans.

Draft saved Draft deleted