1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Scoop's Vegas Column TRUMPS Whitlock's

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sportsbruh, Feb 21, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

Stop the ebonics shit. Now.

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I'm not gonna lie, I thought this was funny. Just that part though.

But sportsbruh, maybe the reason Scoop is so beloved by the "GREATEST ASSEMBLY OF BLACK TALENT" is because they know how difficult it is for a black man to become a sportswriter, way harder than becoming, say, one of the 350 best basketball players in the entire world. Way, way harder. Kobe knows this and has deep respect for Scoop because of it.

*Please note the extreme use of sarcasm in the previous paragraph. So extreme in fact that the blue font would be incapable of expressing it*

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I read Scoop. The most incoherent, rambling, name-dropping 1,852 words (yes, I ran a word count) I've ever read. Oh, of those 1,852 words, I think 1,800 of them are names of people he met, hung out with, rubbed elbows with or blew.

4. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Nice Try!

That's changing along with the Black quarterback. Keep ya eyes peeled.

5. A column about hanging out with celebrities and hos at exclusive parties ...

What's the matter Scoop, couldn't make it as a rapper?

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Hey. Scoop ... uh, Sportsbruh. Shutem dafuck up.

You're useless.

7. Deskhack

Deskhack Member

BTW, Scoop. Loved the reference to Jamaal "Cornbread" Wilkes. When you're dropping names, it's best to get them right, at least. Idiot.

Oh, almost forgot. Great column, Jason. You really hit it on the head.

8. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Anyone know how to get ahold of the Guinness book folks?

The record for most errors in a single post has been set.

9. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Good call, shottie.

I was going to respond with something like that, but I lost my Hooked-On-Ebonics tape and was thus incapable.

That, or the ebonics feature on the AltaVista translator be busted, yo.

10. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Words and phrases from Scoop's column I'd never think of using:
    - Baller
    - Stix
    - full clip as a Gang Starr anthology
    - wifey
    - crew (unless I'm writing about ships)
    - U the ish man!!! (huh? what's ish?)
    - brotha

PS - Unless it's moved since I was there a year ago, or this was a kind of satellite setup special for the weekend, Niketown (one word Scoop, not two) is in Caesar's (I know, I bought shoes there). It's not across the street in the Venetian as Scoop claims here: Inside the Venetian Hotel there was a crowd outside of Nike Town

And, off Niketown's "store locator" section on its website:
    Nevada
    NIKETOWN Las Vegas
    Forum Shops at Caesars

It lists no other Niketown's in Vegas, or Nevada for that matter.

Anyone know if Niketown has moved? Or was Scoop "watching this" and "writing" along side Mitch Albom?

11. your idea of what's important in life is askew

12. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

From Leavethemanaloneblogspot - (I swear I love this chick) http://leave-the-man-alone.blogspot.com/2007/02/if-you-say-real-talk-i-probably-wont.html

Frankly, ever since Whitlock was, ahem, dismissed by ESPN, he has become a bitter, disingenuous writer. He used to be insightful. Now he's just a curmudgeon at thirty something. I suppose it's his idea of revenge against the "bojanglers" to be a tour guide for certain Americans who like to be told what they want to hear. Just because Whitlock can say certain things because he's Black doesn't mean they are true. If Whitlock wants to be "that Negro", he's free to do so. But I hope he peeps the irony that telling certain people what they want to hear he is just pandering - or as he would put it, "bojangling."

Draft saved Draft deleted